Never saw it coming...

Back in April of this year I got a call from the school nurse telling me that my daughter is being transferred to the hospital from overdosing on 30 sudafeds and 30 tylenol. I dropped her off at school and everyhting seemed normal and I couldn't understand what was going on. My daughter is 15. When I got to the hospital she said that she didn't want to see me because it was my fault that this happened. I do tend to be overprotective but I was sooo mad that she attempted suicide.The counselor told me she is depressed and was in a psychiatric hospital for 3 days. Now she is better and seeing a therapist. Has your child ever attempted this? Is she just being a "bratty" teen? She was forbidden to come and finish the school year and the school counselor has been HOUNDING us because of this. She wants to know what she talks about to her therapist. She is so annoying and not helpful at all and thinks she is a doctor instead!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I think you should be in family counseling as well as her own personal counseling. Ive never been through it but it does sound like your school's counselor needs to back off if your daughter isnt in that school anymore. She also doesnt need to know what your dd and her therapist discuss, thats confidential. Good luck!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 7:45 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• 1) HOW DARE she have the nerve to call and ask "what is she telling the therapist"? I would report her to the school board for that. As a counselor she of all people should understand confidentiallity and that your daughter needs to know that her "secrets" are not being blabed or she will never open up. This woman as NO BUSINESS being a counselor.

2) I was your daughter. DO NOT feel guilty. I can tell you that there is absolutely nothing anyone could have done to change things. I NEEDED to hit rock bottom before I could begin to fix my life.

3) DO NOT force your daughter. Be there for her, love her, support her, and let her know that it is OKAY. you will always love her, that you are not angry with her, and that when she needs you and is ready - you will be there, no questions asked.

4) atleast you showed up. My own Mother didn't once come to the hospital during the 10 days I was there.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 7:48 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I've never had any experience with this but I do think that she's not just being a "bratty" teen. She attempted suicide!! That's very serious! I have had friends in high school who committed suicide so I know it's something more than just being ''bratty". As far as the school counselor goes, it's none of her business what your daughter talks to with her therapist. That's confidential!! The counselor needs to know her place!

Good Luck and you and your daughter will be in my thoughts.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 7:48 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• sorry...I ran out of room...lol

5) I took 24 sleeping pills and a full 100 count bottle of Tylenol.

{{HUGS}} I am so sorry that you are going through this hell.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 7:49 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• the school counselor has no business calling you and asking what her and the therapist are talking about that is confidental and not to meation that she is no longer a student at that school. you can press charges if you want to for harrassment. but i would first call the school principle and see if that doesnt resolve the problem.
    i agree with the first posting you need family counseling as well and the best thing you can do above all is to just be there and lend a ear or shouldar without judgment
    being a teenage is hard there is so much going on inside their heads and whats going on in school that we as parents just dont know about. but letting her know that you are there whenever she wants to talk will help open the path for communication.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 7:55 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• No, my children have never tried this. I honestly think it is more than being a bratty teen. Being in therapy seems to be the right route. I don't understand why she wasn't aloud to come back and finish the school year. As far as the school therapist or counselor, whatever she is.... it is none of her damn business what your daughter is talking to her doctor about.....
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 7:56 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• How can they forbid a child from returning to public school? If she is forbidden to return why is the counselor still involved? If your Daughter in no longer enrolled in that school she is no longer that counselors concern...Right? Did I miss something?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:00 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• While the counselor has business asking what is being talked about during therapy, the school does have the right to deny her entry back into school IF they have an anti-drug policy that includes ANY over-the-counter drugs (ours does - NO DRUGS PERIOD on students).
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:18 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I disagree about the Family Counselling. Your daughter will view this as an attempt to find out what she is talking about in private to the counselor. YOU may want to see a therapist or your pastor about your feelings.

Twins - HOW can you possibly think it is any business of the school counselor to ask what is being talked about in a private counselling session? I am really hoping that was a typo and you meant to include the word "no" before business.

I do see how the school can expel her for violating the "drug" policy. Personally, I would want to start fresh in a new school where people won't be whispering about me and what happened.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 8:58 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• do you wounder if school counselor had some thing do with it i would look in to it some one push your daughter button some one said some thing that you daughter wanted to end it all ,it just does not happen out of the blue
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 10:26 PM on Aug. 13, 2010