What do you tell yourself so you don't worry?

My 12 month old is teething (it's a slow, painful process for him), and he's going through one of those weeks when he'll eat one good meal, maybe a little snack and then pretty much refuse everything else for the rest of the day (just wants to drink liquids). I know that it's normal to have these phases. I know to not drown his hunger with liquids. I know that eventually he will come around. I know that no kid will starve. I know that the doctor is happy with his growth (and they told me this morning not to worry). I know that forcing him to eat would make things much worse, so I should just give him plenty of chances to eat a variety of healthy things and let him choose... I know all this. But it's just hard to sit back and watch my baby go hungry, even for a short time. I HATE seeing his big eyes look so sad when he's clinging to me because he doesn't feel right. I hate not being able to do anything to help him. Any advice>

Sebbiemama

Asked by Sebbiemama at 7:42 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I actually make sure that my LO is good and medicated with Motrin before getting a meal by about 30 mins. I also make sure that I give her stuff that is super easy to mush in her mouth. I also swear by cholroseptic max and putting an ice cube in a wash cloth and tying it off with a pony tail holder. My LO loves her "cubes". I hope he feels better soon.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Pedicure. Maybe popsicles or oatmeal. Soups are nice too. Maybe just broth even. You can give that to him to help him catch up on the calories that he's missed. Help make him feel a little full for a while. It's normal for children to not want to eat anything or to chew on things when they are teething. Just hang in there mama. It'll be okay. I've been through three children teething. Two were mine. One was the child that I used to nanny.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 7:48 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• use Motrin and baby orajel to take the edge off the pain.

I know alot of Mom's who swear by the frozen wash clothe for teething.

Just remember, this too is only a phase
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 7:53 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• The ensure drinks for the kids (Forget the name brand) were a lifesaver for when DD didn't feel like eating. At least I knew she was getting vitamins in her.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:58 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• At that age it is just fine for him to only get formula or breastmilk. Teething or being sick was so much easier for me when they were still breastfeeding. It was all they did - but I didn't have to worry they were getting enough to eat and drink. Even if he cuts out all solids and only takes breastmilk/formula you don't need to worry at all. Babies can actually go without any solids for a full year, so if he is just taking liquids right now, you truly don't need to worry. (but we do a good job of that, don't we?)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• all i can say is do the best that you can it will get better for you i hope
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 8:07 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would add some instant breakfast to his milk (so I knew he was getting calories) but he's always been a picky eater. Good Luck!
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 8:11 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Thanks! I know this is just a temporary thing. I am giving him some Pediasure on the days when he's not eating much, and offering him his favorite foods (scrambled eggs, yogurt, peaches, etc.) I guess I'm just venting because I'm worried. I know that all toddlers go through weird eating phases that are no big deal in the long run, but how does a mom not worry about it? I think I'm the one with the problem... :)
    Sebbiemama

Comment by Sebbiemama (original poster) at 8:13 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• You don't have a problem - you are a good mom who cares and doesn't like seeing her kid in pain. I think no matter what we do, there will always be these struggles and you just have to breathe deep and make it through. It kills me when my son is uncomfortable too. heck, it kills me to leave him with a sitter for any reason.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:30 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• What if you got those electrolyte freeze pops for little ones, it will give him what he needs, and help his mouth feel better at the same time. I can't tell you not to worry, everyone else has done that for me, but maybe something that has a lot of water, like watermelon, kiwi, honeydew and stuff like that that you could freeze and give to him in small amounts, strawberries are easily sucked on.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 9:42 PM on Aug. 13, 2010