Pagans one and all: Does it offend you?

Does being called "Pagan" offend you? It's never offended me, but I recently came across someone who basically called me out on referring to Wiccans and other Pagans as "Pagans." He didn't really seem offended entirely, so much as he commented on how I used the word frequently (I used it twice within a 4 hour time frame, while we were discussing witchcraft, Wicca, Shamanism, etc.). Then he launched into how the definition of "pagan" is a "country dweller," which I knew already, but as with many other words, it has various definitions (at least IMO and many I've talked to about it).

Anyway, that being said, do you personally find the term offensive?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 8:00 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well I am Norse Heathen, so that's why I use it - but it is definitely applicable to a very different mindset than the stereotypical "pagan". I think of it in terms of pagan is to heathen as liberal is to conservative.

I was thinking about your question more, and I think the real problem isn't in the word but in how it's most often used in mixed conversation. We joke about it meaning any religion not Christian, Jewish or Muslim, but it's almost more of a stereotype for anyone not one of those three. If you think about it, it's mostly used in situations like "pagans don't believe in converting" or "pagans keep to themselves" or "pagans are evil". It's not usually used to mean any faith, not even really one that covers eclectic paganism. More like it's used to convey a state of being not an overbearing Christian (note I specified the overbearing ones).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:43 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• It doesn't offend me. I realize that's how many ppl of "alternative" faiths are classified. It annoys me when ppl I know well classify me as pagan. Not like we haven't discussed it a bazillion times already!!!!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:13 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• It does not offend me... much easier than saying I practice Kemetic Orthodoxy, isn't it?
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 11:10 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• No i wouldn't i thought about the religion... he sounds like some one who needs a nap
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 8:02 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Wicca isnt Pagan? Please dont bash me! I know this isnt the purpose of this post and I sound naive, just not real familiar with this and am interested!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Aqua, Yes Wicca is a form of Paganism. The guy is taking one meaning without using the rest of the definition. Its fine to use the term Pagan. IMO he just has a stick up his butt. Its not offensive. Neither is Country dweller.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:10 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Doesn't offend me in the slightest, lol. To me it is simply a catch all word for many belief systems. :)
    Sheacat

Answer by Sheacat at 8:11 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Yes! Ok, not really - but it does irritate me. This explains it better than I can in 940 characters.  Probably not in the same line as your friend, but the point still stands - I don't appreciate being lumped into a group whether I like it or not when there's a perfectly acceptable term for what I am.  Kind of like if people referred to all Christians as Protestant instead of acknowledging there are many varieties of Christian that are not Protestant and many subgroups of Protestant that have distinct identities from the rest.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:19 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Honestly, Pagan is really the only term that "describes" what I am. I don't pull my beliefs from anyone set of beliefs. I draw them from alot of different beliefs. So, sinch I don't fit into a nice little box, being called Pagan is fine with me. Unless someone is using it in a codescending way.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:34 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Hell NO! I wear and use the title proudly!

proud pagan Pictures, Images and Photos

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2010