What do you think of the name Ruben for a girl?

A friend of mine wants to name her DD Ruben Noelia. I think it's adorable. Her mom was upset about it being a 'boy' name until she decided she could call her Ruby for short. lol. What your opinion.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 8:13 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Baby Names

• its different...i like it...
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:45 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Sorry, not liking that at all. It's a good think my opinion doesn't matter. :)
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:14 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I think its a bad idea to give your child a name that will automatically qualify them for the wrong dorm in college.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:14 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I don't like it for a girl or boy, but it's a nummy sandwich.lol!

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 8:15 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• IMO Quinn's enough of an on the fence one they'll look. Its one thing to call her ruby in memory of whoever but my SIL's name is Franklin Lucie & I think its absolutely ridiculous! Had to name the 1st born after the dad even if it cursed her to a life of explaining to everybody who ever saw her 1st name why it was the way it was. Kids have enough problems these days. Really want to listen to Reuben be called out every day in school during role call? That's gonna get old for her really quick!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:21 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• It sounds like a boy's name. Ruby would be better as the given name.

Answer by Bmat at 8:14 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• lol. My daughters name is Quinn Cameron so... I guess I just don't have a problem with 'gender bias' names. I should hope th college will read her application and know she is a girl though! That's what that box is for right? :0)
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 8:18 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• It reminds me of the sandwhich sauerkraut and corn beef--yukky IMO. My grandma--who I love very much--always makes them on Christmas Eve and she is a chain smoker...can't stand even thinking about how that smells and never can eat at her house.

I do agree with Ruby though as mentioned above. It's a more romantic name!
    mjjn

Answer by mjjn at 8:22 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• it sounds like a boy name to me. But whatever works for her!
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 8:27 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• LOL...i named my son quinn, and considered ruby as a girl's name. he was a surprise gender baby, so we picked out a couple different names. i liked ruby for a girl because my 2 year old dd's name is Jade :) if they plan on calling her ruby, then why not name her ruby? to each their own tho!!
    iamcafemom83

Answer by iamcafemom83 at 8:28 PM on Aug. 13, 2010