Does anyone else feel like doctors....

...sometimes don't listen to anything you say?

Yes, I realize they have a lot of education and know a lot more about illness than most of us. However, why the self-righteous attitude about everything?
My son has a condition on his tongue. I see it everyday, I live with it. I know it's a rare condition called geographic tongue. I've read tons about it. His doctor looks at it once (while it's mild, I might add) insists it's yeast overgrowth and doesn't listen to anything I tell him about it. Ugghhhh! He's been on two rounds of anti-fungals and it hasn''t done anything! He would rather be right than actually listen and have a discussion with me about it.
I know, I just need to find him a new doctor but I've had this kind of experience with many. Just venting.

moniquinha

Asked by moniquinha at 8:13 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Health

• I hear ya!

My mainstream doctors have been wrong more than they've been right and they have felt compelled to tell me, on more than one occassion, what a terrible person/mother I was because I would not take their advice. Part of it is their attitude (they are the doctor, after all) and part of it is their lack of proper training. They are taught to treat symptoms, never really looking for underlying causes to what's causing those symptoms. Their way is the only way apparently ... I find it very close-minded.

My own research, together with the help of a DAN doctor for some issues, has served me and my children better than any mainstream doctor ever has ... or ever will, I imagine.

FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:38 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I have noticed that some doctors are like this. It gets very frustrating.

Answer by Bmat at 8:16 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I know what you mean. I switched doctor when my newborn DD had lost weight in the hospital breast feeding. I had to go weigh her daily until she reached her birth weight. By day three the doctor says to me in the nasty tone ' so, what, formula isn't an option for you right?' I told him no it wasn't and she was gaining weight so whats the big deal? OMG he wanted her to gain exactly 2 oz a day! Like on the dot. lol. We switched doctors after that.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:16 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Yes and it's frustrating
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 8:17 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i think sometimes drs get so use to seeing the same problems over and over they forget there are other things it could be. and some just ignore the mom (who knows more about the child than they do).
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:17 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I thought I was pregnant back in Jan, i went 3 months w/o a period, and I had never skipped one in my entire life. I was 170lbs and the max I have ever been is 200. All my dr. could do was look at me and say I wasn't having a period because I was fat. BUT I NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM!! hellllllloooo, it ended up being a problem with my cervix, and he refused to check anything out. I had a reg. pap test and was told I had high grade lesions (basically cancer was growing), well thank you Dr. Jackoff for listening to me and my problem to begin with, this could have all been avoided Mr. i know it all and you're a stupid patient.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 8:26 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• yes... very much so. i even had a dr. tell me that i was "a bad mom" because i wouldn't allow certain things that permanently messed up my younger sister. i tend to resort to a book entitled "how to raise a healthy child in spite of your doctor".
    lauchremi

Answer by lauchremi at 8:34 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Doctors are taught in medical school..."when you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras". The idea is that most issues are going to be run of the mill, not exotic, so you look at the usual diagnoses first, and the, when all other possibilities have been exhausted, then you look at the rare stuff. Unfortunately, many doctors forget about looking for the zebra once they've confirmed that there are no horses here.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:37 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• With our oldest, we went to a pedi, who at that time was "the best in the state". Well, he told me it was ok to start her on solids....I replied that I'd done that 2 weeks before as she was REALLY hungry ALL the time. He read me the riot act...WTH, a diff of 2 weeks? Then he yelled at me because I said no to a vaccination. Now the reason I had her in there was because she had croup...in fact she had chronic croup until about 5 yrs of age. After telling me I wasn't fit to be a parent, he had to admit he could not have given it to her anyway because of the croup. OH and when we asked him on several occassions about her feet (when standing, her legs would be straight but she'd be standing on her ankle), he kept telling us there was nothing wrong with her. We went to another Dr. and if we had not, she would likely have been nearly crippled. So much for "best in the state"...the JERK! He really thought all parents were stupid.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 8:40 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I've had good luck with doctors but I've had nurses tell me something is nothing but when I told the dr. he gave me a solution.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 9:43 PM on Aug. 13, 2010