Should I let my 16 year-old get a pair of stilettos?

My daughter is 16 and will be 17 in November. She will be a junior. She really wants to get her first pair of stilettos to wear with dresses to certain events. I wore heels very rarely in high school and college but now wear them as part of my professional attire. She brings up the argument that stilettos are all the rage so they are fashionable and I am trying to see her point but I am not sure if I want her wearing them just yet. Do any high school girls wear stilettos and if so are these girls still deemed as reputable students? I just wanted to get some feedback. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• 16 is not too young to wear them... she just needs to practice walking in them.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 8:25 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• You said...special events...so I don't see a problem with it.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 8:26 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i think it's really up to you on how you feel, but personally I wouldn't let either of my daughters wear them.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 8:27 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• How exactly would wearing heels effect your daughters grades? If she were asking to get them to wear for a boy then I'd say talk to her but since she just wants them for special events (I'm assuming homecoming, prom etc) I would allow it. I see no reason not to at all.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 8:28 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• she wants to get them cause they're trendy? As long as they are for special occasions i don't see a problem with them. i wouldn't let her where them with her every day attire.
    natasha86

Answer by natasha86 at 8:29 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I think they're too mature for a 17 year old. A lower heel works too.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:32 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Personally, for special events, not a problem. But not to school. The girls that wear the extremely high heels in our school are of questionable moral character and look like hookers in high school.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:35 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would say not to school...it's not really safe for someone not used to walking in them..slick waxed floors, stairs, etc. But special events...she's going to be an "adult" in a little over a year.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:36 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Stilettos are not appropriate for school. Special occasions such as prom and homecoming, yes....but not the average school day.
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 8:45 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• If she wants to wear them and is able to function properly in them then I see no reason not to allow it.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:48 PM on Aug. 13, 2010