so I went to target tonight....

and I went to check out, and the lady went through my daughter's new school tops, and missed two of them.

I said, the total isn't right.
She said, yes it is.
I said, I think you missed the gray sweater, and she said no, I didn't.
I said well, I... *looking at receipt*
She said, don't worry about it, have a nice night.
I left, now feeling like I shoplifted two sweaters. If i take the bag back, she's going to get into trouble.
What do I do?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 8:44 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• If you feel that strongly I would have simply gone to the service desk and said it was no one's fault - both of you simply didn't notice the sweater hadn't been swiped. They would have taken your money and you could go on with your day. It's not too late to go back and do it - just don't blame the cashier if that's what you are worried about.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 8:46 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i'd double check again, then maybe go back to the customer service desk and point it out. it may cost her her job but i doubt it's the first time.
    lauchremi

Answer by lauchremi at 8:45 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• just dont take it back. you didnt pay for it. she may not even be there when you go back. she may have given you a score because she didnt like her job.
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 8:45 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• You can chalk it up to good will or you can take them back and the store still may not charge you for them even though you have gone back to pay for them.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:46 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• well i mean you tried to get her to do it right. i don't think you could have done more (well except if you swiped them on the scanner yourself lol). i wouldn't feel bad bc it sounds like you went out of your way to show her the mistake. for some reason in target they are really trusting, like if you have a whole bunch of one item, they ask you how many you have and take your word for it instead of counting. also, if something doesn't have a price on it they ask if you can remember the price and then enter in what you said instead of doing a price check. idk why, but it's always like that at target
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:46 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• u did tell her and she let it go so at that point i wouldnt say anything and i wouldnt want her to get into trouble
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 8:48 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• just let it go...how many times has a place over charged you for something and you didn't know it.....
    melissabilliot

Answer by melissabilliot at 9:18 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Just don't worry about it unless you are going to feel guilty every time you see them. If that's the case them I would take them back and explain. what happened.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 9:21 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would have asked for a manager

Answer by rkoloms at 10:38 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• If you know she did not then you have to do the right thing. I would not have left. I would have told her to just ring it because I am not leaving until you do. I would not want her to have her job if she is doing things like that in the first place.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 12:39 AM on Aug. 14, 2010