How many is too much to be spending on a book bag!

A friend of mine has a 13 year old daughter and she saw a book bag in LL Bean that she really likes but it cost 40.00 and her mom is thinking about getting it for her because she feels if she doesn't her daughter will not be cooling have the 40.00 book bag. I told she was nuts for spending that much and can other bags for under 40.00 but I know it's her money and she can do what she wants but she ask me would I and I told her no. So how much are you willing to pay for a book bag. Here is the one she is think about getting her.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/506219?nav=gnro

LoriAnn87

Asked by LoriAnn87 at 8:47 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Shopping

• 10
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 8:47 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i say if it is good quality and will last the entire year the $40 is totally worth it. I remember going through two-three bookbags during a year carrying heavy books and all of them combined cost more than the higher quality one.
    MizMellyMac

Answer by MizMellyMac at 8:49 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would, as long as my child understood that something that expensive is built to last, and it's going to be used for more than just this year. I got my first Jansport my freshman year ($40) and used it throughout high school. My 2nd, bought for college and have been using it for 7 years off and on for various things. It's still in excellent shape and will be what I'm using when I go back to college this fall.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:51 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I always had expensive backpacks growing up and then through college as well. You get what you pay for. A lot of the more expensive ones have excellent warranties too.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 8:49 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Well, in the first place a halfway decent book bag will cost at least 20.00 from walmart. It probably will need to be replaced. so if she buys this one, and doesn't have to replace it because it won't wear out as fast, she pays the same in the end and saves time and trouble.
    Arione

Answer by Arione at 8:51 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I'd say bout no more than 15.00 cause it will be torn up before school is over...kids sit them on floors and stepp on them...then by the summer they need another one for clothes or sumthing else...lol
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 10:19 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• neat but there are similar ones at target for tons less.
    lauchremi

Answer by lauchremi at 8:49 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i spent 20. i learned from when i was in school and my parents always bought the super cheap ones. you'll have to end up buying another one halfway through school lol. i spent 20 and expect it to last all school year. i know alot of the 'preppy' kids had monogrammed ll bean bookbags when i was in school, but they used the same bag for more than one year. 2 at least. i think they cost more to begin with but you can use them longer
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:50 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• There are neat book bags but you can something like at target and other store.

LoriAnn87

Comment by LoriAnn87 (original poster) at 8:50 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I think is not to bad bc that's about what I paid for my laptop bag. But until my son is much much older it will be the cheaper ones.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 9:14 PM on Aug. 13, 2010