Is it okay to take vicodin while breast feeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say no, unless you want to dope your kid up and I really hope you dont!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• um definatly no
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• What did the doctor say that prescribed it to you - you did tell him/her that you were breast feeding didn't you? If yo
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 9:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• NO NO NO !!!!! HELLO ITS A DRUG
    Mamadetres123

Answer by Mamadetres123 at 9:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Well they put you on vicoden after a c-section and you are breast feeding then. I would say it's not that bad, but not all the time.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 9:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I was given vicodin after my c-section and took it for 2 weeks, so obviously it is ok. I took one several months later for back pain, and it made my son really constipated. (It has this side effect on me, too.) I'd talk to your doc about dosage but it's ok.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I didn't get to finish - I hope you're not taking someone elses medication.....and breast feeding.
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 9:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Lol these people are so funny - just because something is a drug does not make it harmful while breastfeeding. There are plenty of "drugs" that are perfectly safe. Please call your doc and don't listen to people here.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:07 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I know that I've had 2 c-sections and was prescribed some pretty heavy pain killers to take for 2 weeks afterwards. I was pumping the first time and was breastfeeding the second. So both times I was taking pain killers and feeding my baby.

What I'm saying is, there are definitely some medications that are safe during pregnancy, but others aren't. And I know for a fact that some pain killers are perfectly fine (since I was sent home from the hospital with them). You might just want to check with your doctor to make sure it's safe.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 9:15 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Nope.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:23 PM on Aug. 13, 2010