any thoughts on this case??

so i am in a custody battle, we went to court and i won temporary custody. this is his last week of supervised visits..god help my baby! but there is a wedding in two weeks on his side of the family. he wants my son to go and knows the only way that will happen is if i go so he invited me. i dont want to punish his family by not letting them see my baby for the jerk dads mistakes.. as much as i dont want to go it is his visitation day so i would rather be there to supervise than not..long story short will this hurt the custody case? i just dont want it to look like i want joint custody when it becomes permanent..this guy is a jerk and makes bad choices he is not ready to be a responsible person to make good decisions for a child..what to do? any thoughts?

Troy56

Asked by Troy56 at 9:12 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• if you trust him, let him take him. everything i've heard and read ... if you are willing to share, you have more chance of keeping the children. :) ...or just go. afterall, it's his day. :)
    lauchremi

Answer by lauchremi at 9:15 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• If you don't go, and it is on "his" weekend, then you will be in violation of the agreement and I guaruntee you that he will use it against you. Be the bigger person, go, smile and enjoy the free booze
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 9:18 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• If you don't go with him you are making it look like it's alright that he goes with no supervision. If you say no period, you are violating a court order, and could go to jail for it. whereas if you say yes, be there for the wedding and not the reception no harm done, the child doesn't need to be around drunks right:? You were then looking out for the safety of your child, but have not violated any terms set by the judge. I understand you may feel awkward about being there with his family, but if you are told that you are not wanted and you need to leave, the only thing you get out of that is leaving with your son in hand, and it becomes not your fault. Don't worry, smile, I know what you're going through, it will get better, but i'm sure you have no idea how.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 9:22 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would go. Supervised visits are not something the courts take lightly. Don't mess with that.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:37 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• if I were in that situation, I would go with my child or my child wouldn't go. If you let your child go without you, his lawyer will argue that you trusted him enough to let him take the child to the wedding without supervision. If you really do not trust him, then either you go or you do not let your child go.
    That's how I would handle it. It's not about hurting the family, it's about the safety of the CHILD. Don't worry about hurting anyone else's feelings, worry about your child FIRST. If they can't understand you protecting your child, then maybe they aren't worth worrying about. Everyone should have the child's best interest in mind .. not THEIR best interest.
    Good Luck : )
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 9:37 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i agreee with nola momma
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 10:13 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would go. I think it would make you look more responsible because you are going to supervise instead of just letting him take him.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 10:15 PM on Aug. 13, 2010