fat comment

Okay how do I help my daughter deal with her friend that called her fat?
My daughter was saying how she hates getting up in the morning and would never do sports becuase of it. HEr friend said well thast why your fat. MY daughter isn't really fat she is a little bit chubby. Walking will help fix that. What would you do if your closest friend called you fat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Bitch slap her!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:29 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• – collapse
    If you know your daughter is "chubby" why don't you do something to get her more active?
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:30 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• I wouldn't say that's her closest friend. i was a little heavy and NONE of my friends EVER said that. I would be careful though, I was depressed from my weight as a teen. i am 23 and do not look much better but have come to terms with my body as is, though I am trying to fix it every day... Try working out with her.. endorphins must be released to make her feel better. But if nothing works for her I would say stress is a problem that she is going through. Please get a hold of me or something I would like to talk more about it.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 9:32 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i would tell her that girl is not really her friend. friends are supportive and loving and would never say anything like that to hurt your feelings. i would also tell her that she's not fat (i doubt that would do any good though), but if she is having issues with her body image now and wants to do something, you could offer to exercise with her and remind her to eat healty snacks. and also tell her to stop talking to the "friend"
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:33 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Next time her friend says something like that tell her to ask her friend "And you're telling me this because?" maybe her friend is trying to be helpful and motivate her to lose weight and feel better about herself but doesnt know a productive way to do it. Have her confront her friend constructively and ask her what the motivation behind her saying that is. Not being a morning person doesn't have much to do with being fat. I'm not a morning person I do all my cardio after work, that's just what works best for me
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 9:33 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would tell her that true friends don't say mean things like that. And if she thinks she has a weight problem, then teach her how to do something about it. If she is happy with the way she looks, then just encourage her all you can! At this age, her friends and their opinions are EVERYTHING to her, so this is going to be a tough one for mom to fix.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:34 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would talk to her about self image. Something like this could really set her up for an eating disorder.
    Some people are just built differently. My bf in high school would probably be considered a little chubby, but it was never an issue. She ate very healthy and participated in sports, but that was just the way she was--and still is, not matter how hard she tries.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:36 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• one time i went to a friend and told her my bf would leave me if i didn't lose weight, i was within my bmi, maybe 10 pounds heavier than when he and i first started dating. i expected support from her, i expected her to say you need to leave him, he needs to accept you as you are. but what i got was almost life changing! she said, do you need to lose the weight? then lose it. she herself had gone through a lot in the past year, losing a very large amount of weight.
    the hard truth is, it is not good for our health to be overweight. we should be making life choices that are good for us now, and in the future. my gosh, if our friends can't tell us this, then who should?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:42 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Okay first off if a friend of mine called me fat they wouldn't be my friend after wards. And kids being chubby is normal it doesn't mean she's not healthy in fact a lot of people can be chubby and healthy. Take your daughter out some where and try to have real fun maybe shopping for some new cute outfits would make her feel better, Do tell her that she beautiful every now and then.from one chubby chick
    yes she is my daughter and i love her no matter what
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 9:43 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I have a 13 year old step daughter who could pass for a 16 year old, but I always tell her that no matter what she looks like on the outside, it means nothing compared to what is on the inside. She is a great girl and if people can not except her for who she is then they are not true friends. I am over weight myself, not by a lot or anything but I do need to drop some pounds, but my Mom always told me that if I was happy with myself then it didn't matter what other people thought. That I should love me for me.
    sthrngrl7707

Answer by sthrngrl7707 at 10:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2010