How do you deal with when your toddler has a meltdown in the store?

noahsmommy12908

Asked by noahsmommy12908 at 9:47 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I pick him up and leave.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:48 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I just used to remove them from the store, take them outside or the car until they got it out of their system. There were times when my daughter was little, that I literally threw her over my shoulder and carried her to the car.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:49 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My husband picks her up and leaves while I finish up, and if he's alone he'll just leave.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 9:49 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Depends, but I would just leave. Even if I have a cart of food, like at the grocery store. I would just take it to customer service on the way out and say Sorry, we have to go.....sure they understand.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:49 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I ask her to calm down and then if she doesn't after I count to three then I walk away and let her throw her fit and realize I won't condone the behavior. I act as if I am willing to just leave her. (Yeah right! But SHE doesn't know that!)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:49 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I pick her butt off and we leave the cart there and leave the store. Either I go back when she has calmed down at a later time, or I have my mom watch her and I go back
    victoriamom2007

Answer by victoriamom2007 at 9:52 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I threaten to take away his iPod game playing priveledges and he snaps into shape immediately!
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 9:57 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I leave. I had all three of them have a meltdown once at the commissary and I left. We were doing fine until we were in our last aisle. My daughter was two and she started freaking about something and throwing things out of the cart. My son was only a couple of months old so he picked up on my stress and he was probably hungry so he started to wail, and my oldest daughter tripped over her own feet and started wailing. I apologized to customer service, they told me someone would put the stuff away, and I walked out the store. It was not a good time.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:00 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• The only time my son does this is when he is tired and I am keeping him from napping. So I don't go on errands when he is tired :) Much easier to avoid the problem than deal with it when you have stuff you need to get done.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:03 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I never left the store. I wasn't about to let a child dictate when we shop. I just let him scream. After awhile he realized it wasn't getting the desired effect and he stopped. I didn't care if people stared at me. I'm used to it. When you have a child on the autism spectrum,you get stared at everywhere you go! Lots of rude folks out there.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:08 PM on Aug. 13, 2010