Would you buy an ipod for a 4 year old?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't even own one yet. Nope! I think a tape or CD player in their room is appropriate at this age, but not headphones. Music should be encouraged but you can do that without spoiling your kid :)
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:10 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• no way. They have $10 MP3's out there

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:09 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• NO. I haven't even gotten one for my TEN year old!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:07 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Heck no! I don't even own my own yet. DD is 4 and loses EVERTHING.. plus at 4 i think if they don't lose it they will give it away to their friend or anyone that asks for it.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:08 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I have an ipod shuffle and my 4 year old has played with it. But no, I wouldn't buy them their own.
    Especially the newer ones.

If you want to get one for yourself, and let them use it under supervision - that wouldn't be so bad. All of my kids (especially my 4 year old) play games on my Iphone.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 10:09 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• IMHO big fat NO! I wouldn't trust a 4 year old with that kind of pricey item! what the heck does a 4 year old need it for?
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:07 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• With all of my older kids the answer would be a big fat NO, but my youngest who is 5, I would if we could afford it. She has one of our older cameras and hasn't lost it yet, she's had it for 6 months and took it to Galveston on vacation. My oldest dd had a mp3 player and has no idea where it is, my son had one as well but broke it in just a few weeks, my other son forget it. My youngest plays with our ipod nano and she hasn't lost it yet either.
    marriedmomto5

Answer by marriedmomto5 at 10:10 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• nope
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:11 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• No !!! i don't have enough to buy one for myself let alone my 4 year old who would break it in a matter of minutes.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 10:13 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I only asked because in a question about tantrums in public a mom said she would take her kids ipod away. But her is 4. I was just surprised!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:14 PM on Aug. 13, 2010