Does anyone have any cures for gas pains in a 10 year old?

She is sidelined by these pains in her stomach almost on a daily basis and says that when she passes gas and goes to the washroom she feels a little better. Has anyone tried Little Tummies gas pills for kids? Massage? Heat? These are just a few of the solutions I've heard of.

mummified

Asked by mummified at 10:20 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Kids' Health

• use the mylicon drops that you would use for babies. that stuff even works for me.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 10:21 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would try the little tummies, i have tried it and it works
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 10:21 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Simethicone works wonders.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 10:22 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• gripe water! and it works great for adults too. it tastes kinda like flat ginger ale. it works pretty much instantly and then you understand why the little babies are so happy after you give it to them! the dosing is on the side of the box.... i use the little tummies kind
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:22 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would give her half of a gas-x. I would also try to figure out what she is eating that is causing the gas.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:23 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I think you should have her seen by a doctor. gas pains that often can't be normal for a 10 year old.

how's her diet? as far as carbonated drinks and gassy foods? Does she eat slowly or eat really quickly?

eliminate gassy foods and drinks from her diet. make her eat slowly (similar to slowing down babies so they don't swallow air)
    maybe try bean-o
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I have always used the mylicon drops with my kids, they would scream in pain from gas and just as soon as that got in their system, they were fine.
    dirtyswifey10

Answer by dirtyswifey10 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Anything simethicone will definitely help, but because she is having them every day, there is something else going on. Are you sure she's pooping ok? Not too hard? Not too soft? At that age its not like when they are little and you know exactly what their poop looks like. =P Maybe she's not tolerating a certain food well. Could be milk or fiberous vegetables or soy. School lunches about killed me as a kid (figuratively) because I had a problem digesting soy. =P So I would ask her some poop evaluating questions, then keep track of what she is eating and see if there's a pattern. If its dairy, lactase supplments are an easy fix for it (quite common to become lactose intolerant after previously being able to tolerate it). If its fiberous veggies or soy (school lunches) try her out on Bean-O. Good luck, Mama!
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:29 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Papaya enzyme.

It sounds like she has a food allergy or sensitivity, like to wheat or dairy. Please don't let your child suffer, and have her evaluated by a health care practitioner

Answer by rkoloms at 10:30 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• When my boys were younger,I would give them anise candies,it's hard candy and tastes like black licorice,or peppermint hard candy,it often worked if they were just gassy..
    CharTalks

Answer by CharTalks at 11:14 PM on Aug. 13, 2010