Any advice for potty traing a 2 1/2 year old boy?

noahsmommy12908

Asked by noahsmommy12908 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Be patient, be diligent, keep at it - FINALLY one day they just get it and you wonder what was so hard!! :D

Different things have worked with all my kids. The key at first seems to be getting them to go on the potty! My firstborn figured out in a matter of days what I wanted him to do. Took him longer to actually do it - but he got the concept. My second did NOTHING on the toilet for 6 months. Seriously, I put him on the toilet and NOTHING. Finally one day I got him on before he peed and soon after that he understood what he was supposed to be doing while he sat there. :)

Both boys almost had it but kept wetting their pants. With my firstborn he had to clean up the mess and change into clean clothes before he was allowed out of the bathroom. He HATED changing himself and cleaning up the mess. My next one LOVED cleaning up. LOL! With him, if he wet or pooped in his pants he did not get a change of clothes.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:32 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• He had to go naked the rest of the day. He hated that and quit wetting after a few days.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:33 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• When he starts showing you readiness signs: telling you when he has to go bathroom, doesn't like to be in a soiled diaper, and can wake up dry from a nap. The best thing you can do is ditch the diapers altogether and take him to the store to pick out some big boy underwear and set up a routine for using the bathroom. At first you will have to take him to the bathroom like every 30 minutes, but eventually he will begin telling you that he has to go, but you won't have much time. Once you have mastered daytime urine control work on overnight urine control. As for public bathrooms try to look for the stalls that don't have the automatic flushing that tends to overwhelm small boys and you will probably have to help him. If you want him to learn to pee standing up have dad go in with him or use cheerios as targets and try to get him to sink the cheerios.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 10:33 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Elmo's Potty Time. Nothing we tried worked for over a year - we had every book on the market. One day of letting him watch that as many times as he wanted, he was done. Other friends of mine had the same results. I don't know if it's the music or just that it's Elmo, but apparently having a red furry muppet tell you to use the potty in song carries more weight than mommy and daddy saying it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:47 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• My baby had to go naked because pull up confuse him so he keep doing his business on them.
    Try putting the potty chair near by and keep him naked. I would let him sit down facing the wall that help wonder GOOD LUCK MOMMY
    elisabellaguna

Answer by elisabellaguna at 12:50 AM on Aug. 14, 2010