How can you get a picky child to eat vegetables? My youngest son will eat some, but is very picky, everything is "nasty stuff" to him.

dirtyswifey10

Asked by dirtyswifey10 at 10:31 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Food & Drink

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed. Make sure that you are setting a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:33 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• how old is he?

one of my friends has recently started adding mashed veggies to just about anything she makes for her kids. carrots into mac & cheese, pees mushed and added to spaghetti sauce, etc. She hides them all.

DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:32 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase. They all go through it. First, make sure that he is drinking water, so he doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually he will start eating them again.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce

cont

• does he drink juice? try the v8 v-fusion. it tastes like regular juice, but it has veggies in it too. my kids love it (and my 2yo is picky beyond belief!)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:33 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• can usually add veggies to about anything by hidding them, in a meatloaf, meat balls, cassorole, mostly able to get my kids to eat them raw with a dip, there is usually many to choose from in the veggie section good luck
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 10:35 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Try sauces, dips, cheese. You should also be eating by example. Focus on the texture of veggies versus the flavor....would you like some crunchy carrot sticks and bell peppers? We have a one bite rule in my house..you don't have to eat it if you don't like it but you do have to try it....one bite. Experts say that we have to try a new flavor at least ten times before we develop a genuine like or dislike...at least with the one bite rule, you're sure they're trying the flavor so that maybe one day they will like it. When all else fails...puree them and add them to sauces, casserole's, smoothies, etc. In the meantime, make sure they're taking vitamins and eating plenty of fruits. (For older children you can talk to them about the food pyramid and how they're only allowed so many sugary things a day...if they eat a veggie versus fruit twice a day then they'll have room for that cookie!)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:35 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Roast them in the oven - it brings out the natural sugars and makes them taste better. Also, never use canned - fresh or frozen only.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:36 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I told mine that they are the Veggie Tales and they wanna have a party in his tummy!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 10:36 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Our kids have to take a bite of EVERYTHING on their plate. If they don't like it, that is fine, but they don't get something else. And I keep putting it on their plates other days, even if they have said they don't like it. Eventually they will like it! At least that is how my kids have been. They are 4, 3, 21 months, and 9 months.

My oldest loved carrots and now says he doesn't like them. I do make him eat one piece (several bites), not just one bite. He is four and is getting used to having to try everything on his plate. It isn't as much of a battle anymore.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:37 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I have completely stopped buying "junk food" I don't buy soft drinks either. It just seems like anytime we have a vegetable that he feels is "nasty stuff" it takes him forever to eat his food, but I also tell him that he has to eat in order to be big and strong like his daddy. He drinks plenty of water all throughout the day so that is one thing that i am not worried about in the least.
    dirtyswifey10

Comment by dirtyswifey10 (original poster) at 10:39 PM on Aug. 13, 2010