How serious is it to keep horseradish pickles refrigerated?

My hubby LOVES horseradish pickles and they're kept in the refrigerated section at the grocery store. I visited my dad for a bit today and he took a little nap so during that time I did a little shopping since I was in town... when I got back I brought in all the refrigerated stuff (or so I thought) and put it in his frig. It sat in my hot car for a couple of hours and just now I remembered that it was refrigerated so I ran & got it and sure enough, the jar says "Always keep refrigerated". Am I in trouble? If DH eats 'em will he get sick?

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 10:39 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Food & Drink

• depends on how hot they got.

I think he should be OK though.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:40 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• No, they should be fine.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:40 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i think with pickles that it is mostly for the crunchiness, not that they will be unsafe. i never heard of horseradish pickles though.... i'm assuming they're similar to dill or bread 'n butter pickles
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:42 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• He loves ANYTHING with a little kick. Yes they're pretty much your basic pickle with horseradish aftertaste. Yuk. But whatever floats your boat, ya know? :P Thanks ladies. :)
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 10:43 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• When in doubt, toss it out. This is what I'd do, although reluctantly, since the vinegar in pickles should help preserve them, but even so. Something else you could do is to call the company, the manufacturer, and ask them.

Answer by Bmat at 10:44 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• lol, yuk is what i was thinking too but wanted to be polite! even the smell of horseradish makes me wanna puke lol. my hubby would be getting no kisses from me after eating those! lmao
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Princessbeth - OMG my hubby and I used to have "breath fights" on road trips - if we'd stop I'd always get a Reese's and he'd always complain about my peanut butter breath and he'd get (yuk) PORK RINDS and I'd about vomit at his breath... so then we started doing it on purpose & it turned out to be a really funny, disgusting, cruel, ongoing joke between us. Ahhh, fond memories... :P
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 10:55 PM on Aug. 13, 2010