How can you get a picky child to eat vegetables? My youngest son will eat some, but is very picky, everything is "nasty stuff" to him.

dirtyswifey10

Asked by dirtyswifey10 at 10:41 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Food & Drink

• V8 Fusion juices have been my lifesaver. DD loves her veggies, but has recently become very well, "DECISIVE" on what she'd like to eat, and although I KNOW she loves her green beans, she won't touch them a lot of nights. V8 Fusion gives a full serving of fruits and a full serving of veggies in every 8 oz glass. It's wonderful. It's also 100% juice with no sugar added. YAY! DD's faves are Peach Mango and Acai berry/Mixed berry. SO yummy. If you don't want to pay that much though I think other juices are following in V8's footsteps, making juices that taste really good like fruit but hide a serving of veggies in every glass. I think they even make an apple juice one now.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 10:48 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I hide it in things, like use a food precessor and put it in meatloaf, spagetti, etc.... I also make them eat at least a certian number of bites before they can get down. Now my three year old ORDERS salads with his pizza. Veggies are a must not an option in my home. It's just they way it is and honeatly, i dont get too many complaints! You have to start somewhere.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 10:43 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• If he eats some, that's a start, and as Ashjoe says hide them when you can. I liked to put the tiniest bit on the child's plate and ask them to try it, but I didn't think it was a good idea to make a struggle out of it.

Answer by Bmat at 10:47 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• We do the V8 also. My kids love it. We also do a lot of tomato based sauces, and veggies with cheese on them. My kids are very picky when it comes to veggies. Fruits on the other hand, everyone loves!
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Teaching a child exactly why it's good to eat vegetables works wonders. Vitamins, minerals, fiber, beta-carotene, what all those things do in the body, kids love information like that, and knowing why it's good to eat vegetables means having a measure of control, which is another thing kids love.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:00 AM on Aug. 14, 2010