What should I do?

I have a 19 month daughter and I have some rules for her like staying off computers and no playing with cell phones nor remotes. She goes to he grandmothers once or sometimes twice a week and she let's my daughter play with the things that are not allowed to be played with at home. How do I get my mom on the same page as me without making her mad cause I dont want Annjela to play with certain things??

ajc-08

Asked by ajc-08 at 10:52 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You know I had the same issue with my mother in law I don't let my son eat candy. So one day I had the talk with her by letting her know that I don't allow my son to eat candy because he get to hipper and I don't allow it can you please keep him away from that when he visit you, Thank You she took it pretty good and I haven't seen her give him some anymore.
    Just be nice about it explain to her that you don't allow that at home can she place try the same thing.... Good Luck Girlie....
    elisabellaguna

Answer by elisabellaguna at 11:07 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• just be nice and gentle, grandma's are suckers for their grandchildren and will let them get away with a lot. Just let her know that you're trying to get her not to do those things at home and it would help you a great deal if she followed the same thing in her home. Hope everything works out for you.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 10:54 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• You just gotta tell her straight up!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:58 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would do like the pp said. just let her know she needs to have the same basic rules at her house as you do for yours
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 10:58 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Oh my goodness my mom is the WORST. She has made her closet at her house the "magic hiding play area", where she has allowed my daughter to draw ALL OVER the walls with her marker (it is washable, thank GOODNESS, but DD doesn't know the difference at other people's houses!!) She's tried to write on the walls a little here but we made it clear that is a no no. I think she understands now that ONLY at Grammie's can she write on the walls, and ONLY in the magic hiding area. BUT with that said, DD is 26 months old and may understand a little bit better.

I would have a gentle talk with grandma and explain but she may still go ahead and do what she does. I just sigh and accept it unless it's REALLY a big no no like a situation putting DD in danger or something. I figure they'll eventually realize who in the family lets them get away with stuff and who doesn't. It's all the fun in being a grandma. We'll be there soon enough.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 11:02 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• grandmas are supposed to spoil there grandkids.
    my mom does the same thing.
    lighten up lady, take a chill pill
    ur the momma, u do the discipling and when the kids go to grandmas they get spoiled. whats the problem with that?
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• For things like that, I just teach my children that things they can get away with at grandma and grandpa's won't necessarily fly at home. If it's not hurting my kids in any way (improperly installed car seats, or something like that), I think it's a grandparent's job to spoil them a little.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Just let her know that you are trying to teach her not to play with some things. Tell her the things that you don't want her playing with and ask her if she can help you with those rules.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 11:16 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Have you ever heard the phrase, "Mom says no, but Grandma's say yes"? Grandparents let their grandkids do things that they wouldn't allow you to do as children. They are more lenient with their grandkids. It's their right. At Grandma's house let your mother get away with it and when she is at home, stick to your rules. Different house, different rules.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 11:57 PM on Aug. 13, 2010