My son will not poop in his potty...

My son is 3. Generally he's potty trained. He pees in his potty with no issue, but will NOT poop there. He poops in his pants and honestly doesn't care it's there. Only once someone smells it and checks him do we find out he pooped at all. More than once he has sat in it so long that it's dried to his butt... How do I get him to poop in the potty and not his pants?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:18 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Wish I could help you but I have been wondering this too. It is so frustrating. It doesn't seem to help with our son, but it might with yours when he has an accident I will make him clean it up. If that mean cleaning the floor or placing it in the toliet and flushing it.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 11:40 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Really the biggest issue is getting it off his butt because it's dried there and it hurts. He's not a fan of being messy, but I can't imagine the bigger mess that would be left if he had to clean it up...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:49 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• You could always try what I remember my grandma doing with my little brother. He pooped his pants, so she stripped him down and stuck him feet first in the toilet to wash him off. I don't really remember much more than him in the toilet and crying. He got it eventually (I assume, he's 22 now and as far as I know it's no longer an issue).

I don't really know that I'd recommend it... but well... it's the best I could offer.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 12:07 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• That is what the bathtub is for I don't know how many times after an accident that I have just thrown him in the tub and let the water do the work. After his clean and the poop is out of the tub you could make his use a scrub brush and scrub the tub to clean it. It is just the act of being responsible for his own messes that is suppose to make him want to stop having accidents, but as it turns out my son loves to clean, so it doesn't deter the behavior but encourage it.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 12:12 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• what the hell is wrong with you ladies he is three years old and if any of you know anything about children learning to poop. it harder for the kids to learn (it is a control thing)continue to work with him and he will eventually get it ........he is a child not a puppy show him love and understanding and you both will get through it good luck
    sunflower39346

Answer by sunflower39346 at 12:29 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• My kids love to clean and love the tub both... So that's what I'm thinking - it may encourage it...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I told my 3 year old he got a treat (small 1 m/m candy) when he pooped in the potty. Each time he pooped in the potty he got one-worked for us. One time he back slid like 3 weeks later-pooped in his underwear on purpose once. the super nanny says not to spank or make an issue just remind to use the potty. so that is what I did and again I went to the reward for 2 days again and no problems since. He now knows he is a big boy so no more treats.

Oh yeah, when he did poop in the potty I'd jump up and down and dance and sing and make a BIG DEAL out of it-HE LOVE THAT!!!
    cattiesmom78

Answer by cattiesmom78 at 11:55 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Give him a laxative.
    then he will really want to.
    Or take away his diapers and undies oh boy he will go.
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I kinda think its scary for them, but give him time. It'll happen
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:05 PM on Sep. 17, 2010