if you were fat would you want your friends to tell you so?

wouldn't you want to know that they love you and want you around for a long time? does it ever seem like the accept me for who i am has gone too far? being overweight when you can do something about it is very self destructive, like doing drugs, do you agree?

happy2bmom25

Asked by happy2bmom25 at 11:18 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• If I was fat I would know it. No one needs to tell me. Now, if I was whining all the time but not exercising and eating crap, it would be perfectly reasonable, honest, and loyal for someone to say, "Come on! You know what you have to do! Now do it and we'll support you 100%!"
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:21 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• if i could vote you up i would...oh wait, i can tomorrow : )
    happy2bmom25

Comment by happy2bmom25 (original poster) at 11:23 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I think my friends know that I am over weight. I know I am overweight. We talk about it. But they never say things like you shouldlose weight to stay alive.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:23 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• If they told me in a caring way that let me know they were concerned and cared, not just a smart sarcastic remark that just upset me. Yes, I think I would accept it.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:23 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• You have a point there...fat is unhealthy. But I would know. And THEY do too but they can't face the fact that they NEED to lose weight. It would take an intervention, I bet, to get through to them.
    I know I need to lose about 15 pounds and I can see it in my mirror and on my scale. And my grandson told me too. LOL. He's 9 and blunt.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:24 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Yes I want my friends to want me around but who is judge of what another weights or doesn't weight, you are there to support as a friend, if you feel you want to say something go ahead but watch out!! Weight is a very sensitive subject and I would be questioning my friendship with someone who tried to get me to lose weight, its ok to talk about it but not to put someone under pressure about it!!
    Kyles

Answer by Kyles at 11:25 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I was fat and I certainly didn't need anyone to tell me. You may think that giving such advice is helpful, but it's not. We already know we have health problems and that we need to do something about it. It's just getting past that mental state to get to that point.

I had weight loss surgery and lost a ton and I'm really happy where I'm at now. Not quite to my goal weight, but very very close!
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:26 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• if you were fat would you want your friends to tell you so? Yes, a real friend is always honest, even when you don't want the truth.

wouldn't you want to know that they love you and want you around for a long time? I would prefer they were happy while they are here than here and unhappy.

does it ever seem like the accept me for who i am has gone too far? NO! If someone can't or doesn't want to accept who you are they don't deserve to be your friend.

being overweight when you can do something about it is very self destructive, like doing drugs, do you agree? NO, I don't agree. Many overweight people are happy and healthy, which is more important than being thin and accepted.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:26 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• completley agree with you!
    being overweight causes heart disease just like smoking ciggerates, and will give you a heart attack just like cocaine.
    i am completley honest with family and friends who are overweight and would expect the same from them.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:30 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• It's funny, because at my heaviest, I felt the most comfortable, I don't know if it was because ny boobs were bigger or something? But I liked myself then and when I looked in the mirror I didn't see myself as being fat. But then Looking back on pictures I would yell at my family and friends like why the heck didn't you tell me I was that big I really never knew. I felt good. They would say " you would have knocked us out or something if we said anything to you ' but really how could you tell someone that? I wouldn't be able to.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 11:30 PM on Aug. 13, 2010