for the single mommies... or the ones going at it "alone"

im a single mother of a 4 yearold and a 1 year old. im trying to figure out how to do it all... im going crazy because of it and nothing seems to get done when im like this. i just started councelling and it seems to be helping me figure things out but i still feel lazy and depressed. im seeking help with the depression but have no med insurance so its hard. i dont want to pay a load of money and try 50 diff antidepresents because i just dont have that kind of money. anyways im wondering when i should start teaching my 1 year old to help out (her birthday was only last friday so she is REALLY only one year old) i also wonder what is appropriate for my son. everyone tells me i expect to much of him so i have tried to lighten up but in doing so i feel like my house is now in shambles. he used to have to clean his room (pick up toys help make bed etc) plus help unload (his dishes and his sisters bottles and cups go in low drawers

mommy06and09

Asked by mommy06and09 at 11:20 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think its a good idea for a 5 yr old to pick up his room and to take care of the toys around the house. IF he's willing let him help do more but don't push. As for a l year old I wouldnt even go there yet..wait till they are closer to 2 unless they WANT to help. I know it's tough when u are on ur own. Just try to balance it. I have bi polar and I have my son and am pregnant now. Sometimes even with one i dont know how I kept up with dishes, dinner and school work. But somehow I just had to step back and tell myself So if the dishes dont get done tomorrow I will do them the next day..give urself permission to RELAX and breath. good luck
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 11:23 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• and he loves to vaccuum so that was a reward for doing his chores. well everyone i talk with says that is too much responsiblity for a 4 year old. i just dont know. i have now abandoned all of that and let him vaccuum when he wants but thats it. if he wants to unload great but i dont ask it of him anymore. but here is the thing. now his room is always messy and the dishes are getting done half as often because he used to help unload them so i had more time to get them in the dishwasher. and i just cant handle it. so how do you do it all?
    mommy06and09

Comment by mommy06and09 (original poster) at 11:24 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My son is 2 years old..and he picks up his toys. They are old enough to understand they cannot have things all over the place. He also helps unlaod the dishes..only plastics..and he enjoys helping mommy..try to make a game of it..to teach him responsibility and fun. For a 1 year old anything would probaly too much wait till atleast 1.5-2. And if he loves to vaccum let him.
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 11:28 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Wow clean his room is one thing but unload the dishwasher as well I think the room thing is pretty good.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:28 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Four olds find helping fun. And it is the perfect time to train them to develop good habits. You are doing great keep at it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:58 PM on Aug. 14, 2010