Training tips for my Pit pup

Anyone have any tips on training my puppy? She's about 2 and a half months old. She's 3/4 razors edge bloodline american pit bull and 1/4 bull dog..im gonna guess american bull dog becuase both parents are just huge! I can tell she catches on very easy, she's very smart. but I can't seem to teach her "come" she comes when i whistle. im still training her on everything else, so tips on all training would be welcoming!!1 Thanks! oh and those who are stereotypical about pit's, are not welcome to leave comments! Thanks again!

tnteaton

Asked by tnteaton at 11:04 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Pets

• I would show her with giving her a treat when she does come, that's how I trained my pit. Just reward her, even just give her tons of praise. I'll admitt, pits are stubborn! :) But well worth it!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 11:09 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• The only thing that works for our dog is treats. We use bacon peices or chicken breast pieces and lot and lots of praise.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 12:21 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Your vet will thank you if you train her to be examined. You lay her down, and start to look at her paws, ears, under tail (do pits have tails?:-) and such. Each time she raises her head, you tell her no and gently push her head down. Do this throughout the day until she will lie still for you to examine her. Work on BOTH sides:-) You will be amazed how much easier vet visits are---our vet really enjoys our dog and is amazed because of this training. Teach her to sit before she gets her food. Teach her to sit before she goes in or out of a door. Start by telling her, gently pushing her butt down and telling her at the same time to sit. This helps with the rush out of a door:-)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

•  Cont.-----You have to be consistent. :-)  Don't allow her up on you UNLESS you invite her.  It is easier to use the word off for jumping up----and the word downfor lying down.  My son also taught our border collie to "bite gently" when play fighting.  Not sure you want to do this with a pit????  But it is possible. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I'm just so happy for you that your pit catches on easy! My mom has a 5 month old pit and he is the dumbest dog I have ever laid eyes on! I have nothing against pits, I'd call him the dumbest dog I have ever laid eyes on no matter what breed he was.
    Galikian

Answer by Galikian at 12:30 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• lol..i know some of the 'worlds dumbest dogs.! and for those who are advising me to train with treats...BIG NO NO! that Is one thing i've learned. If you train your dog with treats, when it finally learns, it wont do the commands you want when you Don't have treats. So please, no more treat training tips!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:17 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Actually you can train with treats but do not make it a continual part of your training. If she responds to other rewards such as praise, play time, that kind of thing, then don't worry about treats. My Boxer responded to treats and praise and eventually I was able to do away with the treats and just gave them whenever I wanted to. Start training with treats until you are getting the results you want each time, then one time don't treat, just praise(reward). Then later when you say a command and you get the desired result, treat. Just continue until she is weaned off of treats as reward.

Also, remember this motto with any animal you ever own again, especially dogs. Exercise, Discipline (Train) and then Affection. Cesar Milan is the best human/dog trainer ever. Even he has been known to use treats.
    ethan0530

Answer by ethan0530 at 1:47 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I trained our black lab her manners and hunting skills--with no treats. The books I read said labs do it for the love of the "work"--it helped she came from good stock!!!! I have trained my aussie/border collie with treats and she STILL does all of her tricks, stays, comes, works cattle ,without treats. She is going on 5 years old. She still sits at the top of the stairs and waits for me to bring up her food, too. I used that just to work on her "staying"--never thought it would carry over all these years, but it has---without treats. I used several books in learning what I did and there are people on both sides of the "treat aisle":) If you have a 'dumb' dog and that is what it takes, so be it.

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• my dog definately isn't a dumb one! She catches on pretty quickly! maybe it's how often im trying. I need to do it more. Can't do anything though for a few days until her hematoma in her ear starts clotting and goes away. Thank you everyone for all the tips!! oh and like Labs, Pits also do things for the love of 'work'. Maybe i will have to try the treats. thanks a bunches ladies!!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 4:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I'd love to help, but only one of my pits will respond to come. The other 2 look at me and walk away. I've tried treats, yelling, snuggles, kisses. They just won't do come. On the plus side, they do everything else perfectly. Just wanted you to know you aren't alone!
    dogcatnbabymom

Answer by dogcatnbabymom at 11:24 AM on Oct. 8, 2008