? for the mama's with uncircumcised boys

My husband is native american, and it isn't customary in his culture to circumcise boys. We weren't planning on circumcising our son after he is born, but my mother won't stop hounding me about it. She says it is much safer, cleaner, he'll fit in more. Bla, bla, bla ... we all know all the arguments for circumcision. So, for all the mama's out there with uncircumcised boys, what has your experience been? Is it really that difficult to keep a penis clean?

LuvMySavage

Asked by LuvMySavage at 11:45 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No. My son is 3 and has had no problems. We wash it like we would a finger or toe.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:47 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Like vaginas, penises are self cleaning. You don't pull it back to clean it. Leave it alone. There is a group here for raising in tact boys. You might consider joining.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:47 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• You know my son has been fine you just have to teach them how to clean it my son know because I teach him. But if you don't help them clean it; They can get infection.
    elisabellaguna

Answer by elisabellaguna at 11:48 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• MY boys are circ........

But my mom foster boy was not and at 10 years old he got an infection cause he didn't pull the skin down to clean it and he had to do emergancy surgery to have that skin removed it was painful for him and h stayed in the hospital longer..

I think that if you don't do it its fine just be sure to teach him what to do and make she it stays clean while he is young. so he doesn't get UTI.. Sorry if the info doesn't help
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 11:48 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My son is uncircumcised (because it wasn't covered by insurance and I didn't have $400 to pay for it) But quite honestly, it has been absolutely no different than taking care of my circumcised son's penis - which was actually more work because of having to clean the incision and what not. My uncircumcised son has never had any health issue with it either. There is nothing special you have to do to take care of it when they are little. No retracting or anything, he'll do that on his own when he's older (let him do it because if it hurts, he'll stop where as you might not know if it hurts or not)

Like I said though, it was only because of insurance reasons, but really I've basically become anti-circumcision and think it's solely cosmetic now after dealing with both.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:49 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• *sure
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 11:49 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My 2 youngest are not. Washing is no different. Don't mess with it, don't pull skin back, nothing. Just bathe it as you would all the other parts.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:50 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• No. In my experience so far it's been slightly work because there's no tending to it for a week or whatever after the actual circumcision. You don't clean it any differently until they are older and even then it's no harder than cleaning your armpit. I have no problem with what other's chose to do with their son's but I hate when people act like you need a manual or some type of special technique to clean an uncircumcised penis. It's just like any other body part!! Do your research though, on the pros and cons of BOTH, and don't let anyone influence the important decisions you make for your own child.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:53 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Thank you ladies! you've all been very helpful. I didn't think it would be a big deal, but my mother acts like I'd be giving my son the plague if I didn't get him circumcised, lol.
    LuvMySavage

Comment by LuvMySavage (original poster) at 11:54 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• All the reasons for doing it are stupid but that is my opinion :) show her a video of the procedure and see if she still feels the same. I have two boys, a DH and countless men on my DH's side that are intact and never had a problem. You couldn't pay me to do something as barbaric as that. ecodani said it best :)
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 11:59 PM on Aug. 13, 2010