How can I control my child?

I dont feel like I have any control over my 2 year old. He listens to his daddy but does what he feels like around me and throws fits. I feel like I have no control over him and I should but I dont know what I'm doing wrong. I dont want it to get out of hand

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my husband tells me the key is not to yell , be firm and instead of asking 2 or 3 times to do someting.. ask once then get up and either make him do it or put him/her in time out for a couple of minutes. and he says key is consistency. i think its harder for us cause we are with them 24/7 but what he says is true it works. He says we can't be lazy parents. i am starting to believe him.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:53 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My daughter isn't 2 yet, but I've noticed that what works best with her when I really want her to listen is to get down on her eye level and make sure she has eye contact with me, and then say (very short and concise) in words she can understand, exactly what I want. After she does it I clap or say thank you etc. If she doesn't do it on her own after me asking her, then I take her by the hand and do it with her and then say thank you and praise her. So far using this we've avoided pretty much all tantrums. They're so easily distracted and not in control of their emotions when they're this young that I don't think they always mean to disobey, they just aren't that interested in what we want them to do. Hope you get a handle on it early!
    mamakels579

Answer by mamakels579 at 6:45 PM on Aug. 14, 2010