House in forclosure sold...need help!

My good friend just found out the house she's been living in (which was in forclosure) has been sold. There was a note on the door saying she has 48 hours to vacate. She is a single mom of two little girls with little to no resources. What can she do??? Any advice is very appreciated!

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 11:48 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• Sadly, there isn't anything to do. There would have been a clause in the rental contract stating that the house could sell and she would have to vacate.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:50 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• department of social services
    mommy06and09

Answer by mommy06and09 at 11:51 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• She can try a shelter to move into. She can't keep her house sadly but she can ask family and friend if she can stay with them til she can get back on her feet, Sorry again not much help
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 11:51 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would have her check into that. I think most states allow 30 day notice.
    ramawin

Answer by ramawin at 12:12 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Oh that's sad
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 3:26 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Have her contact the renters' rights office in your area. She should have been given prior notice that the house was in foreclosure and listed for sale.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:59 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• rkoloms is right. Her rights vary from state to state, but I think most states require that they give her more than a 2 day notice to vacate and some it's as much as 90 days.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 10:32 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• a lot of leases have it written into the lease that if the house is sold, the new owner has to grant the remainder of the lease. Tell her to read her lease!
    mama2three717

Answer by mama2three717 at 1:18 AM on Aug. 15, 2010