anyone hear of prescription LACTULOSE?

hi, i recently switched my daughter to stonyfield organic milk and she has been constipated bad. I started w/one bottle then gradually increased it to her having all whole milk. now, she pushes really bad and i actually found a little blood in her stool. i have tried giving blueberries, prune juice, etc., to get her to go normal but nothing worked. it would always go back to constipation.

i called the pediatrician and she prescribed lactulose and said to give it to her once a day at breakfast for 1-2 months and she would prob outgrow the problem (which is the whole milk).

i had her on enfamil, but has to switch to enfamil gentlease bcause she had stomach problems then. i asked the dr/pharmasist if she could just be lactose intolerant and they said she should outgrow it.

i hate that i have to give her this for 1-2 months, but i guess if i need to i will but i just wanted to see if anyone had any similar problems

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter takes miralax (another medication for constipation) on and off. When she does have an episode of constipation she usually takes it for about a month and it clears everything up. I think it's very safe and very helpful. Being constipated is not only uncomfortable, but it can result in a serious medical emergency (impacted bowls). So, we don't mind giving it to her when it's needed.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 12:03 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Also, you could try giving her soy milk and see if that takes care of the problem. If my child was lactose intolerant, I don't know that I would just continue to give her something that was making her sick to see if she "grew out of it". I guess if it was me, I would switch her to soy milk and see what happens. If things get better, I wouldn't be giving her dairy products.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 12:05 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Several of the things you are saying don't add up. Newborns that are born lactose intollerant are very rare and are very ill. They would be considered to have a genetic disease of metabolism. They would not be able to have regular formula or human milk. A dr/pharmacist wouldn't have told you babies outgrow lactose intollerance. It usually doesn't start until around age 3 and gets worse with age. Some babies outgrow milk allergy

No baby under 12 mo should drink any cow's milk for any reason, including organic milk. Giving milk causes constipation and can cause organ damage and death. Formula was invented because cow and other mammal milk kills human babies. Since your baby hasn't been diagnosed with galactosemia the best thing for your baby would be your breast milk. Relactation may be possible at any age.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:34 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Why don't you just remove the milk from her diet? If she's drinking regular milk, I'd assume she's over 12 months. That's what I'd do, they don't NEED cows milk, and especially if it is messing with their digestive system.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:04 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Oh also, when she DOES go, is she just having a hard time, or is it dry, hard, pellet like stool?
    Krysta622

• she is 1 year old and i was told by the pharmacist and dr. that she has to get use to thewhole milk and should outgrow it. when she goes its really hard, like the size of a golf ball. i am going to try and give her more fruits to see if that helps and if not i will give her the prescription. she averages about 16-22 oz a day
    kyliegirl28

Answer by kyliegirl28 at 10:01 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Why does she have to get used to the milk? Plenty of perfectly healthy people don't consume milk. I'd stop milk for a period of time, and see if it gets better. Then, reintroduce milk, and see if you continue to have the same problem.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:16 PM on Aug. 14, 2010