What do you think about spanking your kids? adult content

spanking or no spanking when it comes to discipline?
How do you teach your kids not to act up?
I would like to know your point of view!!!!!

elisabellaguna

Asked by elisabellaguna at 11:56 PM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I am a firm supporter of Spanking, if done correctly. I don't believe in BEATING or ABUSING children, but I am a firm believer in spanking as a part of a discipline regime... I don't think it should be done with objects or out of anger, but it should be used as a tool to train and teach.

For example, my son had a habit of licking outlets when he was a toddler... This could be VERY dangerous. I wanted him to understand that this was something which would hurt him... We spanked him every time. I felt it was very important for him to equate licking the outlet with pain without him actually having to be electrocuted, spanking allowed us to do this.

However, I also believe that spanking should not be the "go to" discipline... Timeouts, corner time, toy/privileged removal and other things can be just as affective depending on the child and the issue at hand.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:02 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• If spanking is necessary, then yes I agree with it. However, I think in a lot of instances it is overused. It has to be an absolute last resort.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:58 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I dont disagree with spanking at all, but there is a difference between spanking and beating! I dont use this as my number one punishment. That is not ok if anyone is. There are other ways of dealing with your children when they are misbehaving. I dont rule out spanking, but I hardly ever do it. I guess it really has to be bad for me to get to that point.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 1:43 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• i give a warning about what his punishment will be if he doesn't stop or do what i ask then i proceed with my punishment, sometimes it is a spanking
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 2:11 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I think that spanking can be a fine tool for disciplining if kept under control and never comes close to beating. I think children should only be spanked with a hand, no belts or anything.I was spanked as a child and have no bad feelings towards my parents for it. I'm thankful they did it. It never really hurt, but somehow, it did the trick. I always thought I'd spank, but now that I have a child, I don't know if I'll be able to do it. He's way too young to even consider now, but as he gets older, we'll see. I honestly don't know that I will be able to, though. I wouldn't want to hurt him. Let's just hope he never gives me a reason to, lol. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:31 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I hate spank but when my kdis get out of line then they get a pat on there bottom...

I will say I was spanked when I was little and have more respect then all my siblings who weren't spanked,
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 11:58 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i do time outs, but if it's a major MAJOR thing (like hitting the baby or doing something dangerous even after i told them not to), then i will spank. that's my last resort
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:58 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I use 123, I spank, I use time out, I ground, I do whatever whenever I feel the need.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 12:00 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• The punishment always fits the crime at my house. I am not afraid to spank either.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 3:01 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I have spanked my kids, but it is not a regular occurance. It is when they have done something really really bad! The punishment they do get depends on what they have done. Physically hurting someone they go straight to their rooms with the door shut. Most other things we count to three and then they go to time out. If they are bad outside we go inside, etc, etc
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 7:26 AM on Aug. 14, 2010