How do approach this situation? adult content

OK lets say that you are at the store and your kid starts acting out and throwing his self on the floor?
Or he touches everything and you say NO and he start screaming out his lung's lol?
I have seen kids do that and I just don't know how I could approach him when it happened to me.
So I would like to know your option and strategies for approaching this problem.

elisabellaguna

Asked by elisabellaguna at 12:08 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• My DD was in a stroller abt 2 or so & and wouldn't stop crying. I told her I'd give her a few minutes to calm down or we were leaving. I had my other DD abt 7, were just out for the day to be out. Well the few minutes passed and she was still crying. I left the Mall and we went home. I learned say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean. You should only issue a punishishment that you know you can and will follow thru with.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:22 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I'm not much help - my kids are 3 & 4 and do not roam free in stores, that's what the buggies with the seats are for. ;o)
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:09 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I warned my children that there would be major punishment if they acted bad in public. They just don't.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 12:12 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I have three kids, two teenagers and one pre-teen and this actually happened to me one time. When my daughter was around 3, she loved going to the store with me. We were at wal-mart one time and she threw herself on the floor and had a huge fit because she wanted something I wouldnt get for her. I just went over to her, picked her up kicking and screaming and took her to the car and home. (just left my cart right there) As a punishment she wasn't allowed to go to the store with me anymore for a month which drove her crazy. When she finally did go, she asked for something, I said no, she looked like she was gonna cry and i reminded her if she did we would leave and she would not get to go anymore and she stopped. never had a problem since :) hope this helps
    amyanne2010

Answer by amyanne2010 at 3:05 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• its hard. people judgue really fast when they see this, i have a 20month old daughter an she dose this. its embressing but i just try an deal with her with out her getting more upset
    redivy

Answer by redivy at 12:10 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• well i have something i do that means they're in big trouble. i get down on my knees and grab both of their arms and give them a little shake. i say you are in big trouble and they know i'm serious. they stop it there, and they get on punishment. no prizes and no dessert and time out then and there. they really want to avoid being in that situation, so they're good for me 99.9% of the time lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:11 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Depending on their age I would just tell them that you will be a short distance away and when they are ready to behave like a big kid they can rejoin you. If they are younger often times whispering in their ear can make them calm down and hopefully can listen to you. I did babysit for two preschoolers when I was 16 and sometimes when they would throw tantrums out in public I would mimic them and they would give me this look she is crazy and stop, but that probably isn't the best way to teach your children proper behavior but it does end the tantrum.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 12:19 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Been there, still there, and done that, OP!! We just abandon our shopping carts and leave!! Then our children are NOT allowed to go shopping with the parent that is shopping until they learn to act appropriately!

Both of my boys have autism, and learning the rules has been more difficult for my now 6 year old, than my 8 year old. I can take my 8 year old ANYWHERE and he ALWAYS behaves appropriately, and is a great little helper! My 6 year old still has his meltdowns when he cannot have something! He is hyperlexic and has been able to read fluently since he was 4 1/2. We write out a set of rules that he brings with him, and rehearse them constantly. Having missed out on a number of trips to stores that he likes, he's starting to "get it" and his behaviors are more in line with my older sons. I expect that by the time he is 8, he will be just as good as my older son is when going to stores, restaurants, amusement parks, etc.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:55 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I ignore it and walk away. They get up quick run after me and calm down. They just want attention when they do these things.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:13 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• i believe that leaving the store is the best thing.
    i tried a time out at a grocery store, and honestly...my son loved the attention! i didn't see people judging us, but rather saw people laughing. honestly, i kind of smile when i see this, because i am thankful it is not me dealing with the melt down!
    also, never take them on an errand when they are tired or hungry : )
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:21 AM on Aug. 14, 2010