Why won't my baby use a sip cup?

My son is 8 months and he won't drink out of a sip cup. I tried so many different kinds and all he does is chew on it. I wanted to start giving him juices but his Dr. told me not to put it in his bottle. I did it anyway and he won't drink the juice out of the bottle and won't drink anything from a sip cup.

philipsmommy125

Asked by philipsmommy125 at 11:18 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son never used a sippy cup, he will only use the ones with a straw. Did you try any of those cups?
    teddybear515

Answer by teddybear515 at 11:20 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Did you try the cups with the hard spouts or the straw cups?
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 11:20 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I would try a soft spout sippy around 10 months. That worked for me both my kids were weened off the bottle at 10 months with ease. Good Luck
    Anangelsmommy7

Answer by Anangelsmommy7 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• My son never used a sippy cup, he will only use the ones with a straw. Did you try any of those cups? ........

No, I just assumed he was to young for that. I will try that....
    philipsmommy125

Answer by philipsmommy125 at 11:23 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• i never used a sippy cup with my daughter either..she used the kinds that look like juice boxes but are plastic..with the straws in the middle...but she only ever used those when we went out..if we were home, i would help her use a real cup..in my opinion sippy cups are just glorified bottles..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:56 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• i'm probably going to offend you, but, this is just my opinion, but maybe he just doesnt want the juice, i mean, why force it on him, there are moms out there right now, that are wishing they never gave their kids juice. it really doesnt do anything for them nutrition wise. they are better off with milk and water. Why start a habit that he doesnt want. maybe he's just not ready for it or maybe he's trying to tell you something. Sorry if i offended you, but so many parents i see push things on their kids and they really dont want them. i mean if he sees you drinking from a glass, put it to his lips, and see if he tastes it, and then go from there. Hugs
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I did not use sippy cups or juice for the last several of my children. Wasn't necessary. They either breastfed, drank water from a cup, or had fruit. I don't think juice is healthy because it fills them up on high calories. They got good fiber and nutrition from the actual fruit. Different textures are healthy. Babies can easily drink from a cup of a patient mother/teacher. And if it is just water in it, it really is no big deal if they should spill it.
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 8:01 AM on Oct. 7, 2008