Is taking a vacation safe while pregnant?

Okay so I will be about 5 months pregnant in December and would like to go to Florida to be with family for a couple weeks over Christmas . (I live in Iowa) was wondering if it would be safe to go at 5 months pregnant (not high risk pregnancy BTW) Also would it be better to go via car (18 hrs straight through) or Amtrak (train-by train it would be a 45 hr ride) Also we will be traveling with our 4 & almost 6 yr old. What would you do? / What do you think?

hotrodmomma

Asked by hotrodmomma at 12:17 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Travel

• As long as there are no complication with the pregnancy at that point, then yes it is okay to go on vacation. If you do go by car, make sure that you take frequent stops to walk around and get your blood flowing.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:19 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I'd ask your dr just to be safe but I don't see why you shouldn't. I know they don't recommend travel later in pregnancy just in case you go into labor, but that's less of a concern at 5 months, especially for a non high risk pregnancy.

I vote for car! that train trip is just way to long for me with 2 young kids LOL
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:19 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I think it would be fine, and I would definitely drive.

beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 12:19 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• i think it would be ok.... if you have any problems you could always go to the hospital for care. i would say it would be better to go on the train so you could get up and stretch and use the potty, but then again it's so much longer than just driving. but you know you'll have to stop alot for the kids and for you, so who knows how long car will take once you factor that in. but either way i think you should go.... it would be nice to spend christmas with family, and nice for your kids too :)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:20 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• With my first I flew across the country for a vacation during my first trimester. With my second we drove 13 hours to a beach for a week and it was when I was 8 months prego. I was fine both times but everyone is different. I don't see a problem with taking a vacation while prego. I vote for the car tho ;)
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 12:44 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I would talk to your doctor at your next visit. I wouldn't see where it would be a problem. I was 6 months pregnant with my first when we went to Israel and France. I was told to move about as much as possible to keep the blood flowing. I was exhausted, but it was worth the 14+ hour flight time.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:32 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Talk to ur dr. frist but I would say go for it and car is cheaper i do it that way we are talking about going out of state in dec. and we are going by bus
    butterflysmom

Answer by butterflysmom at 9:50 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Clear it with your MD.
    I traveled from CA to FL for a vacation when I was 7 mos PG.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:26 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• spk with ur doc if u r worried, a talk wont hurt will it?
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:42 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• check with ur dr and go by car..have fun.enjoy
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 11:16 PM on Aug. 28, 2010