military moms?

i was just wandering if there are any moms out there who are in the military and the dad/husband takes care of the kid. whats it like? im thinking about joining after i lose some weight.

djsmommy13

Asked by djsmommy13 at 12:19 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• I got out the military when my son was 18 months but my DH has been staying home with him since he was born. If your DH wants to be a stay at home parent then it can be beneficial for the child, but it is best to talk about it now especially if he is currently working and what his responsibilities would be towards your child(ren) and the household chores. As to the military part you need to be prepared to be separated from your child(ren) often. Boot camp is anywhere from 6 to 10 weeks depending on the service and weekend visits are not allowed. The first opportunity to see or talk to your child(ren) would be at graduation at the end of boot camp. Once you finish boot camp you will either go on to a school where you will be able to move your family and go home every night, or you will go straight to your first duty station and will have duty, overnights at work no going home, or deployments that can be anywhere from a week...
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 12:46 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• to a year where you will be able to spend emails and occasionally phone calls. These are not constant, but can occur with some frequency. I am not telling you this to discourage you, but I would hate for you to regret this decision once it is too late. There is a lot stress on military parents especially dads because most spouses are still women and many men feel alienated from their support groups and programs for military spouses. Make sure that your husband has a solid support system to help him through deployments and parenting issues he would turn to you for help.

I wish the best whatever you decide.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 12:50 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I thoroughly enjoyed my time on active duty Air Force. I got to travel and see almost the entire Globe. When I joined I was not married or had children. It was difficult after I married an Air Force man. Since our duty stations were dictated by our jobs, we never really got stationed together. The closest was about 300 miles apart. Because both of us were active duty, we had to make plans on who would take care of our children in case we were at war. That is a difficult pill to swallow. The question that will give you a headache is when someone asks for your sponsor's last four numbers of their social security number. Even though you are the sponsor, they still ask that  silly question. My only tip is to go in with the job you really want to do already planned out. Don't go into basic with and 'open' career field. You never know what you will get. Remember, military means war and all that that implies.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 7:35 AM on Aug. 14, 2010