how did military kids get the reputation for being brats?

i love our soldiers, but i must say that the only ones i know personally have raised very bratty children lol. of course not all the kids turn out that way, but it does seem to be a common stereotype. why is it like that? maybe from moving around so much? i am just curious.... all the 'brats' i know are full grown now so it's past the point of help for them lol.

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 12:24 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have dealt with the military community for over 16 years. They are no different than any other kids except that military kids deal with a lot. They move every 2 or 3 years, start new schools, leave their friends, one or both parents is usually gone all the time, they have no extended family around them, the reality of a parent being at war, seeing friends lose a parent to the war, their parent coming home injured or not the same. It's a lot to deal with. As far as being brats, all kids are brats when it comes down to it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:45 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I think the term "military brat" started out as an acronym. Born Raised And Trained/Trapped/Transferred. I don't think military kids are any worse than those raised in civilian families. They deal with a lot. They were born into the military lifestyle in most cases. They did not choose it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:36 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I worked on post at an after school program for military students and they are normal kids with the exception that they are very strong and deal with more things than most of children have to deal with. The term brat actually came from the British army and has since been adapted to our military. BRAT stands for British Regiment Attached Travelers. Britain's military was one of the first that allowed dependents to accompany the military member.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:45 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I'm not sure, but if I had to guess it's be that maybe they are so used to hearing that their parents are "heroes" for serving and that makes them feel like they are more special than other kids. Or maybe some are moved around so much (I know not all military families move often) that they are acting out due to an unstable home life? I honestly don't know, but that's my guess lol.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:38 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• lol, obviously they didn't choose it. i guess i'm asking if it's bc of their circumstances or what

princessbeth79

Comment by princessbeth79 (original poster) at 12:39 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Ive always wondered that. You figure they'd be more disciplined, and well behaved. than bratty
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 12:48 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• As far as being brats, all kids are brats when it comes down to it.

lol lzsarejman, i agree with you there. that's what i thought..... it must be hard to move around so much. thanks ladies.... i need to go to bed seriously lol.
    princessbeth79

Comment by princessbeth79 (original poster) at 12:49 AM on Aug. 14, 2010