I want to eat healthy but I don't know how

I know how to make salads and eat fruit but my knowledge of healthy meals pretty much ends there. I wasn't raised to eat healthy but I want to learn and be able to teach my kids. Can anyone give me any advice on how to learn to cook and eat healthier?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• When you think of salad think Chicken, Ham, Turkey, Tuna, Egg and lite on the dressing because they are consider empty calories.
    Fish are great in protein.
    elisabellaguna

Answer by elisabellaguna at 12:45 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• simple just place the food in your mouth and chew
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:46 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• well, it's easy really. ex. if you want a fried egg for breakfast, use pam on the frying pan instead of butter or oil. buy bread that has high fiber content. don't eat foods fried in fats or oils. instead try to grill, broil, or bake them. read nutrition labels and pay attention to the serving size and the calorie content. drink plenty of water. there are some great shows on food network that are all about easy cooking and healthy cooking.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:46 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Well, fruits and veggies are always a must. But, a major thing is to cut back on the red meat. Once a week is good for red meat, try to change it up with skinless chicken, pork, or fish. Second, try to stay away from stuff that is really fatty, such as corn dogs, french fries, and other stuff that you have to stick in the deep fat fryer (it adds lots of fat and salt). Eggs can be high in cholesterol, so those should be limited to once or twice a week. My grandmother swears by oatmeal in the morning for breakfast, and she has a good point. Oatmeal can lower cholesterol, and if you mix it with fruit, it can also give you that fruit serving. Whole grains such as 100% whole wheat bread, is also something that should be considered as part of your diet.
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 12:48 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I like to make a salad and add a grilled chicken breast and choppedup apples & throw in your favorite nuts we use walnut when we put in the apples. and for a salad dressing I mix honey, lemon and garlic with a splash of balsamic vinegar. mu hubby loves it.

grill food instead of frying. use olive oil instead of butter. and throw away the salt shaker. lol (I've noticed since I stopped salting food that a lot of food has a lotof salt in them already.) just today I the tomato in my salad was salty and it came straight from the garden

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 12:52 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Multi grain past and breads. Brown rice. Yogurt and orange juice. Water, lots of water...
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 12:53 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• don't cook with butter or salt. don't fry anything ever! you have to retrain yourself when you go grocery shopping. the majority of your cart should be veggies and fruits, not boxed dinners or casserole type things.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 12:54 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Anon I have a group that might help you if you're interested. http://www.cafemom.com/group/111028  There are other groups here that are designed around healthy eating, too.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:57 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Sweet potatoes!
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 1:20 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Eating healthy is a way of life. People think that diet is a bad thing, but in reality diet is what you eat every day. I actually am trying to start a group pertaining to this as I am studying nutrition for my career. I would love for you to join and ask as many questions as you would like. www.cafemom.com/group/kimmysweightloss
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 1:37 AM on Aug. 14, 2010