What is the right age to take away a pasifier?

How do you know when to take it away and what are somethings that have worked for you? I have heard cutting the nipple in half and giving it to them then they realize they dont want it. My son did great at leaving the bottle behind...pretty much did that cold turkey...but the pasy is a different story, he is 15 mo.

aidengrant07

Asked by aidengrant07 at 11:29 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I just took my dds paci and hid it! She wasn't bothered by that. So I'm glad. She hasn't had it for the past couple nights. I took it away on her 2nd birthday!!
    hailee2006

Answer by hailee2006 at 11:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• My dentist said that as long as they don't go past the age 4 with one they will be ok. I don't think that your supposed to cut the nipple cause that could compromise the integrity and the nipple could fall off in their mouth and possibly choke.
    teddybear515

Answer by teddybear515 at 11:33 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Mine took it untill 3years old. We started weening him by takeing it away during his active times, and only allowing him to have it at bed time. Eventually he just didnt miss it. I also have heard of someone who told there child that there were angels in heaven who needed there pacifier. Then they got a helium balloon(s) and released it to heaven. I thought it was cute but never tried. I wish you luck. I still have a childhood blanket I sleep with. LOL
    Anangelsmommy7

Answer by Anangelsmommy7 at 11:33 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• My kids never had a binkie past 9 mos. old. I got sick of luggin them around and losing them. My youngest son hid them around the house. His were gone @ 6 mos. Then when we moved, we were finding them all over the house hidden under furniture. My dentist said that a child should not have a binkie after they are one. It can hinder the shape of their pallet and cause speech problems. JMO
    Maddape48854

Answer by Maddape48854 at 11:39 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I've read several articles that recommend taking pacifiers away when the baby starts to crawl, usually around 6-7 months old. I did it for both of mine and neither had any problem with letting it go. This probably doesn't help in your case as your little one is a little older, but thought I would add for future info. But, I do think that every child is different and you will know what works best for yours, cold turkey or gradual weening. Good luck. :)
    momof2boyz0103

Answer by momof2boyz0103 at 11:58 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• my dentist and doctor said the same thing..no longer than one yr..my daughter only had hers for 8 -9 months..and i took it away cold turkey..she had no problem..the first night she fussed for 5 minutes..then that was it..i would think that the longer they are attached to it, the harder it will be to get them off of it..thats why i took hers away so young..but then again, she only really used hers at nap time, or bedtime..i never gave it to her JUST BECAUSE..like lots of ppl i know give it to their baby everytime the baby cries..i totally hate that!! but again, thats MY opinion..no offense to anyone here..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:01 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• my son got rid of his on his own at 3m. my daughter is 9m and is starting to not care for it. she uses it like once or twice a wk.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 12:05 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• never give a kid one or at the age of 8 months
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 2:48 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• my 2 1/2 yr old still sucks a passy. Hes good without it during the day but he starts asking at bedtime. Hes my last so its not a huge concern of mine to let him have it. I read an article in WebMd mag a few months ago that said pacifiers are not usually an issue with teeth until the permanent teeth begin to surface. Thats way longer than I would let him have it, but its good to know. All four of my kids took one until about 2 ish and no longer than 3. Then they let it go. Don't stress over it. If you feel its an issue that needs to be resolved, then get rid of it. If you don't care, then let them have it. I am one of those moms who doesn't care.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:07 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I don't think there is a right age to take it away. My DD's dentist suggested the Binkie Fairy come and leave a present in exchange for the pacifier, just like the Tooth Fairy. This worked really well for her, but she was little older and not really attached to the pacifier. She took it to bed at night and when it fell out she didn't look for it again.
    My cousin told her son that a new baby needed a pacifier, and that he should let the baby have it, since he was a big boy now, I forget how old he was. The new baby was not a sibling, I think that would have been too hard for a toddler to give up his binkie to a little brother or sister and watch them enjoy it every day LOL
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 10:41 AM on Oct. 7, 2008