How do I get my 8 month old boy to stop screaming all the time?

Spanking is out!!!! That's abuse in my book!!!! The real problem lies where he screams a blood curdling scream all the time. He does it when he's happy or upset about something. I can handle the lower tones when a child cries or is upset...just not everyday, all day at a pitch that will pierce your eardrum. Oh, and by the way, he is not sick. He's well taken care of--food, diaper changes, clean clothes, affection and attention, etc.

yowza

Asked by yowza at 11:29 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter went through a phase like this about that age. It didn't matter what I did, tried distracting her with her favorite toys, new toys, tried being really silly (that one helped sometimes it made her laugh). We also played with her flashcards a lot to help her learn new sounds... that also helped a little. I knew there was absolutely nothing wrong with her, it was just a new sound she learned how to make. My advice... cotton balls in your ears. They muffle out the sound without completely drowning him out. Good luck!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 11:35 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I remember that well! My youngest did that and I have to tell you, if you are sure there is nothing wrong with him, no digestive problems that might be paining him etc., then simply show no reaction, ignore it if you can. The reaction he is getting is what keeps him doing it. I got this advice from my mom who raised six of us and it worked like a charm. Of course, you always want to be absolutely sure that there really is no problem with him first!
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 11:35 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• My niece just liked to hear her own voice. They ignored it and she stopped on her own.
    Maddape48854

Answer by Maddape48854 at 11:40 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I dealt with the same thing with both of mine. It is a phase (sometimes feels never-ending), but it will pass. My only suggestion is if you notice him doing it when he wants something, you can begin teaching him sign language. I know it seems early, but I started it with my daughter around 9-10 months and it significantly reduced the amount of screaming/whining. Since you said this is taking place during other times, this may not help. But, it's worth a shot. If you decide to do the sign language, start small, only 2 signs. Work on it consistently for 2 weeks. It will eventually take hold. Hope you get some relief soon!
    Amie2424

Answer by Amie2424 at 9:54 AM on Oct. 8, 2008