At what age can you give cereal with a bottle? I know it is 3 months, but have any of you done it sooner?

msjackson912

Asked by msjackson912 at 11:46 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My doctor had me start doing it at like 2 months. My twin girls just seemed to wake up every hour and want to eat. So he told me to try the cereal in a bottle and it worked wonders for them.
    Anonymous

• i was always told to wait AT LEAST 4 months..and never to give it in a bottle..never to give anything but breastmilk, formula or reg milk in a bottle..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:53 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• My oldest was born with acid reflux and the doctor told me to put a teaspoon of cereal in every bottle when she was born. With my second, I started when she was 1 to 2 months old I think
    Galikian

Answer by Galikian at 11:55 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Yes, it really depends on the baby. My son has reflux and on top of it he just wasn't getting full when he kept things down and was eating. Usually, you do not put cereal in a bottle for any reason but I would check with your doctor to see if he/she has any ideas before you start putting cereal in a bottle. My doctor recomended it but we had tried 6 formulas first before we found the right combination. Now he's a cute little chunk!!!
    yowza

Answer by yowza at 11:56 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• You can give it in a bottle just make sure you add some Karo syrup in it to make sure the baby doesn't get constipated. I don't think it would hurt to try if you feel you need to start your baby on cereal sooner. I did and all my kids are fine and healthy.
    Anonymous

• my doc had me give it to my son at 2m because he had bad reflux. i think you and your doc show decide it together if you want to do it before 4 months. my doc had me put 1 tsp per 2oz
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 12:03 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• we just started at 4 mos but my niece started at 7 weeks b/c her acid reflux was so bad
    juliegorham

Answer by juliegorham at 12:48 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Cereal in a BOTTLE is a choking risk...and if baby needs a food in a bottle baby';s not ready for the food. Spoon only, please.

AAP's recommendation for any solids is six months. And no, solids don't make them sleep...they sleep when they sleep despite what you do, not because of it.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:55 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• If it was that harmful to give cereal to a baby in a bottle you wouldn't get countless responses from people who were told to do it by their peds. Exercise common sense and your baby won't choke and will be fine.  My son got oatmeal in his bottle when he was two months old.  Acid reflux is something I know all too much about now after my son.  I put one tablespoon into 4 ozs of formula.  I also started solid baby food when he was 5 months and we have had no problems.  Good luck!

BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 7:43 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I started my son at 6 weeks! Just follow your gut and dont force it.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 9:39 AM on Oct. 7, 2008