tubes in ears does it help?

regian19832002

Asked by regian19832002 at 1:57 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Some say it will cause more trouble down the road.
    glenndoir

Answer by glenndoir at 1:59 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• i have heard good and bad thinga bout them my som is 3 and has a ear infection every month and they want t o put tubes in
    regian19832002

Comment by regian19832002 (original poster) at 2:00 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• My son has had 3 sets of tubes over the past 12 years. He no longer needs them and at his last checkup his hearing test was exceptionally good considering his history. Yes there are pros and cons but I would recommend going to a ENT specialist and getting a second opinion if necessary for your comfort. There are risks but in my son's case, it was worth the risk.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 2:04 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• They didn't work for me, but they do for some people.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 2:20 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Other things should be eliminated first. If he has that many infections he should be screened for genetic immune deficiencies (the boy in the bubble disease). Just having 4 infections a year is a warning sign of having genetic problems. Two warning signs means a child should be tested.

http://www.immunedisease.com/patients-and-families/about-pi/diagnosing-pi/

There are other things that can contribute to ear infections - allergies, exposure to tobacco smoke, and drinking milk.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:21 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• my almost 6 yr old son, has had 3 sets of tubes. The first 2 sets worked great, while he had them in, but as soon as they fell out he started getting bad ear infections again. This last set though worked really good, they fell out 6 months ago an no ear infections . Thank God.
    mommyof2boysmd

Answer by mommyof2boysmd at 2:31 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• well my dear mommy had tubes put in my ears every year til i was14 and now i have permanant ear damage. everytime they put them in it leaves a timy open scar and and really be harmful so once maybe twice if really ness, but avoid if you can. also it could help if you got a second opn.
    Cajuntexan03

Answer by Cajuntexan03 at 2:42 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• My 12 year old and my 10 year old both had 3 sets of tubes. My 12 year old needed another set after his 3rd fell out, because he was still getting fluid behind his ears, and it was affecting his hearing but they said doing more than 3 sets can cause permanent hearing damage.
    But having the tubes most definitely cut down on the number of ear infections! We went from like 6/year to none - it was great. And having the tubes put in was really nothing - outpatient procedure in the morning and by that afternoon they were back to their normal behavior.

Answer by missanc at 4:13 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Ive had tubes put in both my ears when i was about 9 im now 22 and i still have problems with them. I was told i gained a little hearing but lost double wat i gained. go figure.
    afarmer

Answer by afarmer at 11:15 PM on Aug. 15, 2010