How can I get my son to stop sucking his thumb.

I noticed that he's starting to have an overbite and I really want him to stop before it gets too bad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Health

• Put something on his thumbs that tastes really nasty, but won't hurt his eyes if rubbed in them and also is perfectly safe for him to be putting in his mouth and swallowing
    Galikian

Answer by Galikian at 11:58 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• You could try asking his pediatrician for suggestions on nasty tasting, but perfectly safe things to put on his thumbs
    Galikian

Answer by Galikian at 11:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Depending how old your son is, this is what my mom did for me, during the day if she caught me sucking my thumb she would tell me to take it out of my mouth cause my hands were dirty and I'd get sick. At night she had me wear gloves so my hands wouldn't get cold, well atleast that's what she told me! LOL It worked since I didn't have access to my thumb I stopped sucking it. By the way I was 5 when I stopped sucking my thumb! And all those products that you put on their thumbs don't work, I would just either sucked it off or go to the bathroom and wash it off. You are right to be concerned though because I had to go through 4 years of braces.
    teddybear515

Answer by teddybear515 at 12:02 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• There is this stuff called "Stop the Bite". You can find it with the nailpolish at Walmart, Target, etc. It looks like clear nail polish, and it tastes like earwax. I know because I've used it to stop biting my nails, but forgot it was on there a few times. YUCK!!! It says on the bottle that it can be used to stop thumb-sucking too.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 1:56 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• explain it to him takes pics of him and show him how nice he looks with out his thumb in his mouth
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 2:59 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Buy some clear nail polish and chop up some garlic and put it in the nail polish, and let it sit a couple of days. Then paint his nail with it. It sort of like that stop the bite thing the other lady said, it taste super nasty. My mom told us to put it on so we could grow out our nails, the garlic both helps make the nails grow and would prevent us from biting them.
    mammidearest

Answer by mammidearest at 10:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2008