Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Can u get over a $1,000 on your state income taxes and if so how do u get it?

I'm talking about the little check.

Answer Question

Asked by mamaofficer at 4:45 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 31 (50,120 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • I think you are talking about a tax refund at the end of the year? The only way I would imagine you could get that much back, is to have your deductions on your W-2 set very low and then take an additional amount out on top of that. In Alabama, where I live, what you get back from the State is added to your income on your Federal Income Tax forms. I think it is best to just break even during tax time because that means you are only sending the government the amount of your taxes due, and you get to keep more in your paycheck to spend or save as you see fit. Getting a check back from the State only means you 'lent' your money to the State to use for a while, but you gained no interest on that money, unlike what you could have done if you had that extra $100 a month to put in a savings account. This is my humble opinion.


    Answer by Joeygoat at 4:55 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

  • As military our federal is like 9,000, but state never is more than 600!

    Answer by JoLee12345 at 5:25 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

  • Why would you want the state to use $1,000 of your money, and not pay you interest? Additionally, you would be risking incurring penalties and interest.

    Answer by rkoloms at 5:58 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

  • I agree the posters above ... I'd prefer having use of my money and making it work for me during the year rather than the government. A refund, after all, is an amount you've overpaid and are due back.

    Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:45 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

  • I had to pay federal and state. I don't know.

    Answer by queen.bee at 1:23 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

  • It depends on which state you live in. Some states have a program similar to EIC which will allow you to get more back than you get in. Some states don't even have income taxes.

    I imagine the simplest way to get a $1000 state tax return would be to over pay by $1000.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 10:25 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.