I am gonna say that he is allergic?!

My family including my 19 month old son went out to eat at Arby's the other night. I bought him a dollar value chicken sandwhich. Well my son absolutely LOVES honey mustard. He has every since I can remember. Well while eating I notices he red blotches almost like hives around the corner of his mouth....I didn't think much of it that night. Well yesterday he had some honey mustard with his corndog and I noticed the same type of red blotches on his face again. I am assuming he must be allergic to it now, but why all of a sudden? He has ate the same brand at my house of honey mustard? I just find it so weird and hard to believe.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 5:37 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Food allergies can spring out of nowhere. They are more likely to occur when allergy trigger foods have been introduced too early, such as wheat, dairy, soy, etc., before baby's first birthday

Answer by rkoloms at 6:08 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Weird that it popped up suddenly, but if you are only seeing the redness where the mustard touched his skin, it might just be a sensitivity rather than an allergy. Mustard is kinda acidic (the vinegar and other spices) and that could be irritating his skin. If it's an allergy (ie: immune response) you will see the rash in other areas and will see other symptoms, too. The good thing is that the little ones grow out of most sensitivities as they get older.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:08 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• All my kids break out if any dairy foods get on their face. They don't have any other reaction. Some of them just turn a little red, my 17 m/o gets blisters from it.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:23 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• It sounds like it's just a skin allergy. If I get vinegar on me I break out in hives or blisters where it touches me. I have food allergies and if I eat something I am allergic to I break out in hives all over my body, get diarrhea and I sometimes vomit. When I eat Kiwi fruit or honeydew my tongue swells up and I start to wheeze. If you notice any of this don't let him have anymore of what you think causes it for a week and maybe try it again. If the symptoms happen again he is prob allergic.
    Good luck, mama!
    colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 12:57 PM on Aug. 14, 2010