?? I asked this in the toddler section but no answers gonna try here....

My family including my 19 month old son went out to eat at Arby's the other night. I bought him a dollar value chicken sandwhich. Well my son absolutely LOVES honey mustard. He has every since I can remember. Well while eating I notices he red blotches almost like hives around the corner of his mouth....I didn't think much of it that night. Well yesterday he had some honey mustard with his corndog and I noticed the same type of red blotches on his face again. I am assuming he must be allergic to it now, but why all of a sudden? He has ate the same brand at my house of honey mustard? I just find it so weird and hard to believe.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 5:50 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i d/k but maybe an ingredient has changed?
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:55 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• He might not be allergic to it exactly, just that he has sensitive skin. Like my ds - when he was little, he loved spaghetti, but the starch in it would do the same thing to him as you described, unless we rinsed it really well after we cooked it, and washed his hands and face right after he ate it (not just wiped him off with a damp cloth).

As he got older he outgrew it.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:57 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I agree with sailor, the mustard maybe just to acidic for his face. I would think an allergic reaction, would be more pronounced. Or that he would get an upset stomach. It may sound silly, but try and put a small dot of the honey mustard on his wrist or palm and see if the same rash occurs there.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 6:07 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I agree with the above 2 posts ;-)
    My son had the same reaction to tomatoes (fresh tomatoes, ketchup, pizza and spaghetti sauce, etc...) when he was little.
    We thought it was an allergy so we were careful not to have tomatoes in anything at the table (you know how little ones always want what they can't have, LOL)
    Anyways, he's now 4, went with his grandparents one day, and they gave him ketchup with his french fries. He didn't have a reaction! We started introducing different tomato based products, and he still didn't have a reaction!!
    We asked his doctor about it at our next appointment and he said that it's a contact skin reaction to the acid, and since little ones usually end up with more food on their face then in their mouth, the skin reacts to the acid (he also mentioned that an allergic reation would affect the whole body, not just the face :-)
    4bridges

Answer by 4bridges at 7:06 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• More agreement here. I have sensitive skin and some things (like toothpaste) will give me a bit of a rash around the corners of my mouth if I don't wash them off immediately. Do the wrist test with him.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:36 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• allergies can develop suddenly like that.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:46 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• wow, everyone here gave awesome replies
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 2:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2010