Spanking?

Do you think spanking your child is the same as beating your child? I have read a few times people who think they are the same. I do not unless the child is being spanked uncontrollably or needlessly. What is your thought?

MooNFaeRie30

Asked by MooNFaeRie30 at 7:28 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Honey, this should be under the parenting debate section, you are in for a heated discussion as there is little gray area to some on this subject.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:30 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I view it as abuse no matter hard softly you 'swat' your little one on the behind. Hitting is losing self control and using anger and violence to try and solve parenting issues which I view as WRONG.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:49 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I never use spanking to get my kids to behave themselves because I don't think it works. BUT I don't think it's abuse either. It works for some people and in my opinion that's ok.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 7:53 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• No it is not, but spanking doesn't work in my opinion.

Answer by older at 8:07 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I don't think it's the same thing, but I don't personally spank. Every parent does what they think is best in disciplining their children. It's not for me to judge whether it's right or wrong.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:39 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• When you spank, you are sending your child a message that hitting is a good way to solve problems. I don't understand why someone would want to teach a child this, but we all get to raise our children as we see fit

Answer by rkoloms at 10:09 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Hmm... all I can say is that I personally cannot condone spanking my child. I have an anger management problem and have vowed not to use physical punishment in my family for fear that I will lose control.

As long as you are doing it in love and not beating your child, good luck with whatever path you choose in your family.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 1:21 AM on Aug. 15, 2010