my baby is 4 month with almost 3 teeth

should i start baby food now he been teething since he was 2 months!

Oct7thMrs.Myers

Asked by Oct7thMrs.Myers at 7:32 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just because he has teeth does not mean his belly is ready for solid foods. My youngest is 5 now so it's been awhile since we had to deal with baby foods but I'm pretty sure it's recommended to wait till about 6 months then start with the cereals. The reason is that at such a young age the digestive system isn't ready to deal with solids. You can cause constipation, diarrhea, and some have allergic reactions to some foods.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 8:14 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• having teeth doesnt mean he is ready for food, just like not having teeth means they arent ready for food. You could start ceral now but anything else I would wait.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:20 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• wow! that is a lot of teeth for such a young baby!
    i wouldn't start the solids yet, even though it does seem like having teeth would be a sign of solid readiness. i think i would at least wait until the baby can sit up. you can google the ready signs, there are more!
    congratulations on your baby!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:43 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I would say sure if you think he is ready!! try and see! but babies dont use their teeth for chewing food for quite a while. you would be suprised who they can gum the heck out of things!!!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 10:03 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Teeth, the presence or absence, don't have anything to do with how ready a baby's intestines are for digesting complex foods.

Both of my kids had 2 teeth by 3 months, and 8 teeth by 8 months (don't remember any of the other markers, but they tended to get them in pairs). Of course, my husband was born with a tooth... so it's probably genetic.

Until about the middle of the first year babies do not have mature enough digestive systems. Too early solids cause all kinds of problems, whereas leaving it, even a whole year has none. No reason to rush it.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:19 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Teeth have absolutely nothing to do with baby food or when to start it :) My son didnt get teeth till a week before 8 months but i started solids before that. Solids depend on the readiness of your baby. Speak to your pedi at his 4 month appointment. Most pedis start solids at 4 to 6 months. Depending on the child.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:37 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Ok thanks his docter said he is able to start on green foods
    Oct7thMrs.Myers

Comment by Oct7thMrs.Myers (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Aug. 14, 2010