Acting like a complete lunatic with diabetes and on insulin

A very scary thing happened to my sister. She recently hired a nanny for her son to take care of him while she worked. This nanny has diabetes. Well, the nanny just got to her house this morning, right as she was about to leave for work and started acting very weird and out of character. Jumping on the bed like a little kid, flexing her arms, somersaulting on the bed, and laughing uncontrollably. This woman is 45 yrs old, so it looked really weird. She ran through the house many times before passing out on the floor. My sister called 911 and eventually came to. She said she had low blood sugar at the time which is what caused it.

My question is, is this normal behavior for a diabetic? Should she fire her nanny? The nanny is home all day with her baby, what if noone else was home to call the paramedics? Is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Health

• I would fire her right away. What if she did that went Mom wasn't home?!
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 7:48 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Regulating one's insulin can be a tricky thing! If the Nanny either did not take her insulin that morning or is not taking the correct dosage--too much or too little it CAN cause her to get "loopy!" The Nanny needs to see her doctor immediately, and either learn how to take her medicine properly or regulate her and her diet better.

When my grandmother was diagnosed with diabetes we had a REALLY difficult time regulating her...she would go through all kinds of crazy personality changes...from being depressed and confused to being loopy and doing things like waling outside to get her mail wearing only her bra and underwear!!! She had no idea what she was doing when she was "off!"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:59 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• It is normal. when your sugar gets too low, it can cause you to act crazy, and talk out of your head. I wouldn't fire her, but maybe make sure she knows the importance of keeping her sugar in check.
    Tatumsmommy0123

Answer by Tatumsmommy0123 at 8:20 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I don't think I'd keep her on. Her diabetes isn't under control, which makes for a dangerous situation for the kids. It's unfortunate, but nannying isn't a position she should be in.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:36 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I've never heard of a diabetic being that energetic when their sugar drops so low! lol I think your sister should bluntly voice her concern to the nanny before firing her. Now that your sister can identify when the nanny's blood sugar is dropping, she should fire her if it is to happen again. I was a delicate diabetic while I was pregnant, and my sugar would drop so low that my hubby could see it in my face and tend to it. My doc and I had to figure out my insulin balance, and I don't think we ever really nailed it down. Once I had my DD the diabetes went away.
    Also, the ex-HR representative inside of me is also thinking she should check with any ADA regulations before firing the nanny so there isn't a possibility of a lawsuit.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 9:51 AM on Aug. 14, 2010