Is Michelle Duggar a child 'hoarder'?

People hoard all sorts of things and most of the time it's because the 'collecting' has become an obsession/compulsion/ mental illness. Do you think her desire to have 'as many children as God sees fit' is a form of hoarding/mental illness? After all, people hoard pets, why not children?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:01 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Definitely an addiction to pregnancy or maybe birth is the only way she gets her oreos? They are good upstanding folk after all so they probably don't have "wild orgasmic animal" sex. But yeah, if your older kids are watching the younger ones all the time because you can't, then you have stepped past the hoarder boundary into crazy cat lady land. Does it bother me? No. Do I care? No. I doesn't keep me from having an opinion though.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 9:46 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I don't think so.. But I think it's a publicity thing. I mean, it's not every day you hear about a family with that many kids. And I would understand people 100 years ago when they couldn't fully use protection, but I think now it's not even good to have that many kids.

I think the Duggars are bad parents. They have 19 kids, they made their children's lives a reality show and there's no way they can give their kids the individual time each one of them need every day.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 8:07 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• But I think it's a publicity thing. I mean, it's not every day you hear about a family with that many kids.

Maybe it is because where you are from? I mean 19 children is a lot but I often hear of /see family with more than 10 children. I don't understand why her beleifs have become an "illness" just because she is in the public eye. They are not the only family with that many natural children and they won't be the last.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:19 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I just don't understand why a parent would put their kids on a reality show. It's a shame, I feel bad for the kids.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 8:52 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I love the Duggars and believe they are doing what is right and best for their family. She is not mentally ill - she truly has placed all trust in the Lord. I could only wish to be as blessed as her. They do have one on one time. It is just not a part of their TV show. They don't "do the show" like Jon & Kate - the Duggars just live their life and the cameras follw them around. They do nothing special or different for the cameras. As far as her having any more kids - why not. Her OB said she is perfectly fit to have more so how is that our problem? We are not raising her kids. There are so many mothers out there that have kids just to live off the system and be "SAHM's" yet live on PA - the duggars don't have any kid of support - actually they give more than any of us could imagine. Sorry this post made me upset so I better end my response.....
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 9:21 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Hmm...interesting idea.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:07 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• lmao..i wouldnt call it hoarding but maybe some form of illness
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:13 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I never thought about it, but maybe. IMO, there's something wrong with someone having 19 kids. I feel bad for the kids, they live in a circus.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:17 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I think thats stupid. Most hoarders have anxiety or other psycological problems and that doesn't apply here either.
    She was on BC before she had kids. After her miscarriage she decided not to be on it and that god knew what was best for them. I don't believe anyone hoards kids, certainly not the Duggars. You think both of them are hoarders? He is just as up for not using BC and having a big family as she is and they both clearly love their kids. You can see they are up to the challenge of raising all those souls mentally and financially. Maybe you are just jealous because you can't raise your kids as well as they are raising all of theirs.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:24 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• How can they have one on one time? When I was growing up my mom gave me and my 2 sibling one hour one on one time each. I always wished I had more time alone with my parents, I loved my one on one time with them.
    How can the Duggers possibly give their 19 kids one on one time every single day? I think having so many kids is bad for the kids on the long run.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 9:26 AM on Aug. 14, 2010