Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mercury poisoning from energy efficient light bulbs.

It wasn't until earlier today that I realized how unsafe these lightbulbs were if broken. We've replaced all of ours and while doing so, one broke in our bathroom sink. I checked online about it because I had heard something about them containing mercury. Now I'm scared to death my kids will get mercury poisoning. I've cleaned it up to the best of my ability but because it gets in the air also, I'm nervous!

Has anyone else broken one of these bulbs? Reassure me that it's ok, lol.

 
ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 12:05 AM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Home & Garden

Level 2 (9 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • LOL. I totally freaked out when my fiance broke one in the house. I was ready to call an emergency hazard spill team. But I read the light bulb box and it said to clean it well with gloves on, and use a solvent spray on the area. That one bulb won't kill you. :)
    Emmy_Dollface

    Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 12:08 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

  • That happened to a friend of mine and she had to make sure the area was well ventilated (opening all the windows).
    scrapbookmylife

    Answer by scrapbookmylife at 9:12 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

  • I don't think there is enough mercury in one to do harm, otherwise they would not be allowed to sell them, however I would just air out the place and clean well.
    jennmarie77

    Answer by jennmarie77 at 5:11 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN