Why does my sewing machine come unthreaded so often?

I feel like I have to stop every few stitches to re-thread my machine... am I doing something wrong or is that normal?

Asked by elizabiza at 9:47 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• how much of a tail are you leaving on it? I pull about 6 inches of thread as a tail before starting to sew. and I hold onto the thread as I start to sew so I don't lose it.

is the thread breaking? might just be the thread is cheap or the tension is too high.

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:48 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Is it threaded right through all the right things. Is the tension too tight is it breaking? Try looking for your manual and see if you are threading it correctly. If not call your sewing place nearest you and ask them those are my only suggestions. I know with mine sometimes I miss a step and then when I look it's not in the groove right. Hope this helps

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:49 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Mine does it sometimes when Im in a hurry and dont leave enough thread hanging off the back. my grandma told me to leave about 6 inches hangin off the back.

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 10:37 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I think the other girls are right- l;eave longer thread in back, and see if that helps/

Answer by txdaniella at 10:53 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I think they all covered it.... hold on to those tails, make sure your spool and bobbin threads are threaded correctly and the tension is set at the proper setting. I would get the manual out and re-thread the unit per its instructions!

Answer by WoodWitch at 3:04 PM on Aug. 14, 2010