Can you get a urine test done to check for an infection if you are on your period? TMI adult content

I have a appointment with my ob/gyn on Monday to talk to him aboutt having another baby, but I also wanted to have them check for an infection of some kind cause my kidneys have been hurting lately and I have a lot of discharge sometime clear and timetimes green, but I ended up starting my period today so which means I will be on it when I see my doctor can I do a urine test being on it? I hate to reschedule the appointment because it takes at least a month to get back in with him if not longer, plpus my DH took off work for that day to go with me.

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 9:53 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Health

• it should be ok... my Dr has wipes in the bathroom so you can clean up and keep from contaminating your urine sample... still, the test should be able to distinguish between blood and other things- just let them know so if some blood does get in your sample they don't freak out haha
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:09 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• yes, you can still do a urine test
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:54 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Yes,you shouldn't have any problem with having your test done.Also...when your kidneys start bothering you,drink alot of Cranberry juice.Cranberry juice is also excellent for Urinary Tract Infections.You'll be O.K.Good luck at the doctors. )
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 10:06 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Um...Your period doesnt come out of your pee hole....fyi

Ya I know lol., but I do bleed really heavy and I mean really heavy
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 10:18 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• It can mess with the results. Back in April I went to the ER with insane back & abdominal pain, so of course one of the first things they did was a urine & blood check - they assumed I had a kidney infection because there was blood in my urine - I said well I don't doubt there is, I'm just getting done with my period! Blood test was normal (no elevated white count, which is a big indicator of infection in the body) so they said okay fine, it's not a kidney infection. But a couple of years ago I had the same kind of problem - went to the ER, found out it was appendicitic, and every damn time they tested my pee or wanted to measure my output "oh no, there's blood in your urine" "HELLO I'm on my damn period! Of couse there is!". (Sorry for the language, I've been through it enough times it gets old!). So regardless of where it comes from, yes, it can affect the results, but if they do bloodwork too that can also help.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 2:50 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

Of course it doesn't. But, your period blood or any other type of discharge can & usually will get into your urine. Male urine is almost always without contaminants, unless there is an infection. While, female urine almost always does contain discharge of some sort even with no infection present. Anything that drips out of your vagina can get into your urine. Um, it's gravity & proximity...fyi
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 2:50 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• yes, the only thing that will happen is if you are bleeding from the urinary tract they won't be able to tell because of the blood. They will of course have you do a clean catch which isn't going to be too nice because of the bleeding (for you anyway), but if you are not a heavy bleeder there may not be any blood that gets into the urine. Goodluck!
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 3:50 PM on Aug. 14, 2010