I need your help with a decorating decision ladies.

I'm repainting my bedroom and my dh is making me a corner shelving unit out of pine for all my hair products and perfumes and crap like that. Do I paint it the wall colour to make it less obtrusive or do I stain it to match the pine furniture?

beeky

Asked by beeky at 9:58 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I would say it depends on how big the room is... if its small I'd want the corner piece to blend into the wall so that if doesn't make the room feel too crowded... if you have space then let the lovely pine shine!
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:04 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Definitely stain it. Pine is such a beautiful wood, don't cover it up. =)
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 10:00 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Stain it the same as the wall furniture pine isvery pretty
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 10:01 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Ok what colors are the walls, and furniture?
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:03 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• The walls are two shades of lilac.  The lighter shade on top with a border separating them.  I was thinking of painting the shelves the lighter shade of lilac and the edges white for a bit of contrast.  The furniture is pine but it is stained a nutmeg shade and my dh wants to stain the shelves to match.

beeky

Comment by beeky (original poster) at 10:09 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Don't cover up such a beautiful piece of furniture! stain it so it matches the other furniture
    MizMellyMac

Answer by MizMellyMac at 10:11 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

That is a good point and is probably why I'm leaning towards painting.  My room is average but it is crowded because we have a king size bed.

beeky

Comment by beeky (original poster) at 10:14 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Stain it if your husband made it beautiful with time and effort.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:42 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• The corner shelving unit should be treated like a freestanding piece of furniture and therefore be stained to match the rest of your furniture.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:48 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Well, if hubby puts nice molding around the top and bottom I would stain it to match the furniture or BUT if it was floor to ceiling I would paint it with lighter color and the trim white so it seems built in.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 3:23 PM on Aug. 14, 2010